Sudden fish death

Pinguinita

Hello, i am hoping someone can help me figure out what might have caused the death of my 2 Tetras. One week ago one of my glowfish tetras died unexpectedly. I noticed what it seemed bleeding in its belly. At first i thought it might have gotten stocked in the filter. Today, i got up to find my other Tetra laying on the gravel with what seemed to be stocked poop and red belly. Thats when i realized that something was wrong and my other fish might have not died from wounds. My acuarium is cycled and my water quality seems to de good, according to the test readings: Nitrate 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Hardeness 75ppm, Alkalinity low, ph 6.8, amonia 0ppm. I did 25% water changes every week, including vacuuming the gravel.
My fish were happy, they used eat normal and had normal behavior. One thing i started to noticed was little white worms swimming around and in the gravel. I saw one of my fish eat a few. Could this had something to fo with fish's death?
I also would appreciate if someone could give me some tips on what should do next if i want to introduce new fish. Should i clean the entire aquarium including changing
filter media? Basically start from zero or should i leave the filter?
Thank you

Dunk2

I wouldn’t change your filter media or clean your aquarium, but 0 nitrates typically means the tank isn’t cycled.

What are you using to test your water parameters? How long has your tank been running?

Pinguinita

I wouldn’t change your filter media or clean your aquarium, but 0 nitrates typically means the tank isn’t cycled.

What are you using to test your water parameters? How long has your tank been running?
Hi, i am using 5 in 1 EasyStrips from Tetra. You are right 0pmm nitrates means its not cycled. I think i got confused with nitrite.From my results of the strips. Nitrate wasn't white but a little pink which it might be 20 or below 20 according to the markings. My tank has been running for almost 3 months. My fish seemed happy and not stressed For the past 2 1/2 month of having them.

Dunk2

How often are you doing water changes and how much are you changing each time?

This is just my opinion, but I’d suggest investing in the API Master Test kit. More accurate than strips.

Pinguinita

How often are you doing water changes and how much are you changing each time?

This is just my opinion, but I’d suggest investing in the API Master Test kit. More accurate than strips.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look it up. As you said, its probably more accurate. I did weekly water changes and I changed about 40%. Except for the first 2 weeks of starting my tank because of cycling.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
peapuffer123
Replies
Views
bcsay720
Replies
Views
wateriswet
Replies
Views