Sudden Balloon Molly Death

TheNacho

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
4
Hey. 2 weeks ago I got 2 female balloon mollies to add to my 10 galloon tank which already has 1 female balloon molly, a pleco, and some cherry shrimp.

Everything seemed ok, they were eating good and swimming around and exploring, and getting along quite well. Yesterday I fed them at evening and they all ate as usual. Today morning I found one of the new ones dead- nothing remarkable, just a dead floating fish.

Stats: (I'm doing the weekly water change later today)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
Gh: 5
Kh: 6
Ph: 6.8
Cl: 0

Do new fish just randomly die after being added to an aquarium? It already happened to me once that I bought a betta and he was fine for a week and then just died, also in an aquarium with good stats, and the betta I bought after him for the same tank was ok.

The only other thingI think I should mention is that I had 3 balloon mollies previously, and 2 of them got sick and died 1-2 months ago. However they were sick individually and showed symptoms for weeks before dying (one had the weird white stringy poop and weird shaking, the other had trouble swimming and I think she had swim bladder disease or something similar). The third balloon molly left is ok through all of this, and seems healthy and always eating.

Anyone came across something like this? What could be the reason for her death? I get very sad when any of my fish die and I don't want it to happen.
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,524
Reaction score
1,575
Experience
4 years
Did you acclimate them in ? It is possible for fish to die from stress
 

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Member
Messages
509
Reaction score
552
Location
In the clouds...
Experience
2 years
TheNacho said:
Hey. 2 weeks ago I got 2 female balloon mollies to add to my 10 galloon tank which already has 1 female balloon molly, a pleco, and some cherry shrimp.

Everything seemed ok, they were eating good and swimming around and exploring, and getting along quite well. Yesterday I fed them at evening and they all ate as usual. Today morning I found one of the new ones dead- nothing remarkable, just a dead floating fish.

Stats: (I'm doing the weekly water change later today)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
Gh: 5
Kh: 6
Ph: 6.8
Cl: 0

Do new fish just randomly die after being added to an aquarium? It already happened to me once that I bought a betta and he was fine for a week and then just died, also in an aquarium with good stats, and the betta I bought after him for the same tank was ok.

The only other thingI think I should mention is that I had 3 balloon mollies previously, and 2 of them got sick and died 1-2 months ago. However they were sick individually and showed symptoms for weeks before dying (one had the weird white stringy poop and weird shaking, the other had trouble swimming and I think she had swim bladder disease or something similar). The third balloon molly left is ok through all of this, and seems healthy and always eating.

Anyone came across something like this? What could be the reason for her death? I get very sad when any of my fish die and I don't want it to happen.
First of all, sorry for your loss :( It sucks when you lose fish, even if they're brand new.

What kind of Pleco do you have in there? Most plecos grow HUGE. I would also recommend no less than 20 Gallons for any kind of mollies too IMO. They're quite messy fish.

The reason for this could be high nitrates. They're not super off the charts, but I would do a water change or two to get them to around 5-10ppm.

Did you QT your other mollies? It is quite possible they were already infected before coming into your tank. What method of acclimation did you use? It could have been shock, though it seems unlikely. I would keep an eye on all your other fish too. Any sort of abnormal behavior? Sorry for all the questions :shame: All the best!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
TheNacho

TheNacho

Active Member
Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
4
I always acclimate new fish for at least an hour, I float the bag and add water gradually.

I'm not sure what kind of pleco I have, the store advertised him as a sailfin although his pattern doesn't look like a sailfin at all- he's brown with yellow/gold spots so maybe a good spot? He's grown from 5cm to 15cm in the 10 months I've had him. He's a whole another story lol, I bought him without knowing that plecos get big and when I found out I called the store and asked to return him and they refused so now I'm stuck with the lil guy.

The only abnormal behavior I can think of is that the 2 new mollies sometimes hang around in the space between the heater and the filter (not a small space), with their nose kinda downwards, but I noticed that often rest like that at night so idk if that's weird? The molly I've has from the start is behaving as usual and so is the other new one
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
85
Guests online
1,805
Total visitors
1,890

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom