Sudden Agressiveness With Platy

Emiloo

Hey guys! I just joined Fishlore and I’m looking for some help.. I had a saltwater tank for 5 years and I now have a beautiful little 15 gallon setup with live plants, 3 sunburst platy and 2 small ivory mystery snails. So, there's one female (who just had platy fry two days ago and I have them separated woohoo! I have grandchildren!) and two males.. one male is almost twice the size as the other and that big one is the aggressive one I want to ask about...
The little male follows by the females side calmly and happily. But day three of giving birth the bigger male is now nipping and darting at the small male as if it was trying to make it get away from the female ..? Any ideas friends? I’m quite stumped if I should do anything about it or leave it be because it may just be normal? In the end.. something to worry about or not? Thank you guys

el337

HI and welcome!

The aggression you're seeing is inevitable since there's only one female to fight over. It's recommended to have 1 male for every 2-3 females but be warned that you'll have even more grandchildren!

Celestialgirl

I think male platys are jerks. Some of my males definitely pick on others. They're happiest with a high female to male ration (at least 3-4 females to 1 male). I think your male is trying to get rid of the competition. I never found they injured one another but it certainly made me feel baad for the one being picked on.

Emiloo

Phew, no way around the babies eh? Oh well. More tanks for me I love raising these little guys. Just got a little scared they were going to fight to the death for her.. thanks for the swift reply!

Aquaphobia

Personally I would rehome that male and get another female OR rehome the female and get another male. The poor girl is going to be harassed to death by desperate boys!

Emiloo

Aquaphobia said:
Personally I would rehome that male and get another female OR rehome the female and get another male. The poor girl is going to be harassed to death by desperate boys!
Sounds a little like real life.. wow! Fish are so interesting. Thank you

Aquaphobia

Do you have somewhere for the fry to go? Even if you get rid of both males now your female will continue to give birth at regular intervals because they can store sperm. You'll quickly be overrun!

Emiloo

Aquaphobia said:
Do you have somewhere for the fry to go? Even if you get rid of both males now your female will continue to give birth at regular intervals because they can store sperm. You'll quickly be overrun!
Yes I have a same sized tank (15) that has all the babies! .. I did NOT know the female could do that though thanks for that information!

Top Bottom