Suckerfish Broken Gills Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lim, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Lim

LimNew MemberMember

IMG_20190816_122957.jpg I'm at a breaking point, my lovely suckerfish has something with it's gills. I was cleaning my tank with my mom and I was specifically telling her that we cannot use net to take the fish out because of their sharp gills get stuck, it happend to me once but she did it anyways and proceed to tear him out of the net. Now his gills are at horrible state I have no idea what to do, his moving fine, but it looks so horrifying. Please, I'm begging help me IMG_20190816_122948.jpg

2. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! They are just the gill spines as far as I can see. They are a defensive measure plecos have when threatened. Don't take the pleco out of the tank when cleaning it. It's best to just leave the fish in there.

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

There's no reason, typically, to remove the fish when cleaning the tank. It stresses them out and, as you have experienced, can hurt them. How big is your tank, anyway?

4. OP
    OP
    Lim

LimNew MemberMember

Thanks I'm relieved, I have never seen this so it freaked me out

I had to remove them because I was making a complete cleaning that means the rocks water, plants and gravel should I not do full cleaning and just cleaning it one by one over time so that i don't have to take them out?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
  5. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

You really should never do a full cleaning like that, weekly or biweekly partial water changes and gravel vacs is all you really need. Doing a full cleaning means you're taking out all of your beneficial bacteria that helps break down the fish poo.

Unless the fish is sick or something there is really never a need to remove the fish from the tank in most cases.

6. Mermish

MermishValued MemberMember

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? The word should have a link. But that's where the beneficial bacteria comes from which I think one of the reasons why @e_watson09 said not to do 100% water changes.