Help Suckerfish Broken Gills

Lim

Reaction score
IMG_20190816_122957.jpg
I'm at a breaking point, my lovely suckerfish has something with it's gills. I was cleaning my tank with my mom and I was specifically telling her that we cannot use net to take the fish out because of their sharp gills get stuck, it happend to me once but she did it anyways and proceed to tear him out of the net. Now his gills are at horrible state I have no idea what to do, his moving fine, but it looks so horrifying. Please, I'm begging help me
IMG_20190816_122948.jpg

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fishlore! They are just the gill spines as far as I can see. They are a defensive measure plecos have when threatened. Don't take the pleco out of the tank when cleaning it. It's best to just leave the fish in there.

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's no reason, typically, to remove the fish when cleaning the tank. It stresses them out and, as you have experienced, can hurt them. How big is your tank, anyway?

OP
L

Lim

Reaction score
Feohw said:
Welcome to Fishlore! They are just the gill spines as far as I can see. They are a defensive measure plecos have when threatened. Don't take the pleco out of the tank when cleaning it. It's best to just leave the fish in there.
Thanks I'm relieved, I have never seen this so it freaked me out

CheshireKat said:
There's no reason, typically, to remove the fish when cleaning the tank. It stresses them out and, as you have experienced, can hurt them. How big is your tank, anyway?
I had to remove them because I was making a complete cleaning that means the rocks water, plants and gravel should I not do full cleaning and just cleaning it one by one over time so that I don't have to take them out?

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You really should never do a full cleaning like that, weekly or biweekly partial water changes and gravel vacs is all you really need. Doing a full cleaning means you're taking out all of your beneficial bacteria that helps break down the fish poo.

Unless the fish is sick or something there is really never a need to remove the fish from the tank in most cases.

New Threads