Status
Not open for further replies.

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there, me again!

Still waiting on the 20 gal. tank. Whatever was ailing the moldy-looking black balloon molly has since cleared up. I must be getting something right. I'm doing 50-60% water changes every day since my readings have been consistently toxic. Wondering if a sucker fish (of any sort) would be beneficial to cleaning up excess waste. I know my tank is NOT big enough for the 2 mollies as it is, but I'm just really curious, and at this point, I trust this forum more than I would a pet store.

Second, I have a male and a female balloon molly. The male is a real sweetheart; if I could snuggle him I totally would. The female, however, is kinda mean during feeding time. She goes after the food the male is eating, and chases and nips at him when there are only a few flakes lefts so that she can eat them all. The obnoxious thing is, she wouldn't have to be mean to her male counterpart if she didn't drag all her flakes under water and sink them before she could eat them. I tried to remedy this by making it LOOK like there was more food for them by breaking up some larger flakes. It helped for a little bit and then she went back to her wicked ways.

I wish they were as intelligent as my cat - who I can just stare at and she knows she's being bad.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello.

Glad your problem has been solved in your other thread.

I wouldn't call it sucker fish like how most people call it. haha They have their own names and what you're looking for are algae eating fish? For algae eating fish, you could get some ottos or some chinese algae eaters. But if you want fish as bottom dwellers, you could get some cories (they're awesomely cute!).

For your feeding issues with your mollies, I'll leave another member who can help you with this as I'm having issues with my fish with the same feeding problems.

Best of luck!

blasto172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ironically most sucker mouth catfish (plecos, otto cats, farowella's) poop more then your average fish. If I remember correctly there digestive systems is very simple so food goes through them like $*$* through a goose. Also Ive never seen any of mine eat fish waste, nor do I believe any of them will. If your looking for a good scavenger that will eat waste and left over food I'd go with freshwater shrimp. Ghost/glass shrimp are easy to find, cheap at .25 to .35 ea, and with the right numbers will keep the bottom spotless; plus there considered to have very little bio-load. I've bought mine from walmart, petsmart and my LFS. Many stores will sell them as feeders, but they make a great beginners shrimp.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't call it sucker fish like how most people call it. haha They have their own names and what you're looking for are algae eating fish? For algae eating fish, you could get some ottos or some chinese algae eaters.
If you decide you are interested in CAEs, make sure you research first. I think that as they get older, they stop eating algae and eat your other fish instead, and get kinda mean.

OP
I

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you decide you are interested in CAEs, make sure you research first. I think that as they get older, they stop eating algae and eat your other fish instead, and get kinda mean.
A friend of mine had this problem. With my luck, the sweet one would be the first to get eaten.

I thought about getting glass shrimp when I had a betta, just because I thought they were pretty. As of right now, I will probably hold off. The mollies tend to hang out at the bottom because that's where the heater is. I was just wondering if there was anything like algae eaters/ scavengers would help with the problem until the upgrade.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Otos are good algae eaters, but need to go into a well-established tank that's been cycled for several months. Bristlenose plecos can go into a 20g, but not one with a bioload problem, as they will contribute further to it. Shrimp are cool, but I know a lot of fish eat them. Shrimp also have extremely low bioload. But I don't know enough about them to advise you about them.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
algae eaters are good if you have an algae problem, even though i've seen that they often stop eating algae if the tank is being overfed. They will not help with your bioload/waste problem, though. Shrimp are a great addition to the tank, they scavenge well, and when the bottom is clean you'll see them actually swimming up the water column and competing for flakes/pellets. As to whether they will actually eat fish waste, probably, since they are scavengers, but why would they if they get their fill of better food?

If you do go with shrimp, make sure you keep your water as pristine as possible, they do not tolerate ammonia or nitrite/nitrate well.

To keep the toxins down I suggest to just reduce the feedings, when you make the food more scarce even the mollies and other top feeders will be down in the gravel digging up any leftovers (this actually works great), and use a turkey baster to spot clean any waste that you see also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom