Sucker Fish ( Pleco)

Aj52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my sucker fish ( pleco) has 2 completly clear spots on the tips of his tail .. they don't seem to be torn or nipped at and I'm confused as to why he is losing complete color any help would be great ... my son's father gave him the tanks long with the pleco and a couple other fish , my son is 6 , of course he lost interest in a few weeks and I'm normally not a fish person but I've gotten attached to them and I'm trying my best to keep them alive

Attachments

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hard to see what you are talking about. I will say that some pleco's have a bit of chameleonism to them.

Aj52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the very tip of his tail is completely clear that's why it's hard to see , I've read that they can camouflage to some degree but would that allow for parts to become clear ?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Looks like normal pleco coloration to me. However, unless your tank is in the hundreds of gallons, you should look into rehoming the fish, as they grow into huge, hungry fish that poop like you wouldn't believe.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ahhh ok i see now. Ive never seen one go clear. How are your water conditions and tank size? Does it just look clear no fuzzyness or anything?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
scarface said:
It’s a bristlenose pleco. The white marking on the tail is a clear identifier. They stay quite small, reaching 6-7 inches max, but 4-5 inches is more common.
Good eye, I just assumed it was a common. So many fish stores will push "algae eaters" on folks and they end up buying a common for a 10 gallon setup.

@Aj52 bristlenose do stay smaller but they are still recommended for a 30 gallon minimum.

Aj52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NavyChief20 said:
ahhh ok i see now. Ive never seen one go clear. How are your water conditions and tank size? Does it just look clear no fuzzyness or anything?
no fuzziness no white spots just clear .. and I just did a water test and everything is normal .. I just did a water change on Saturday. I normally do at least a 30% water change every week

Aj52 said:
no fuzziness no white spots just clear .. and I just did a water test and everything is normal .. I just did a water change on Saturday. I normally do at least a 30% water change every week
also it's a 30 gallon tank

Aj52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fahn said:
Good eye, I just assumed it was a common. So many fish stores will push "algae eaters" on folks and they end up buying a common for a 10 gallon setup.

@Aj52 bristlenose do stay smaller but they are still recommended for a 30 gallon minimum.
I do have a 30 gallon and honestly I didn't even know the name of it till just now lol I'm very new to this fish thing .. and honestly I'm trying I've lost a few fish to reasons I honestly don't know and didn't want any new fish till I figured out why , then my kids dad gifted him a pleco then a sword tail then a platy smh

Aj52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NavyChief20 said:
Im guessing by the way you say his "dad" its the ex. Exe's are so helpful ugg.
tell me about it ...

Fahn said:
Good to know it's the right size. How long have you had the tank?
since Feb ...

Aj52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NavyChief20 said:
Mine bleached my 72 gallon tank while i was deployed. I appreciated that one.
omg .... and here I was complaining about mine randomly bringing new fish ..that had to be horrible

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aj52 said:
omg .... and here I was complaining about mine randomly bringing new fish ..that had to be horrible
it required some patience. she got my car i got the kids. i win.

Aj52

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NavyChief20 said:
it required some patience. she got my car i got the kids. i win.
you definitely came out on top of that situation. .

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, talk about Sophie's Choice. In that case, I hope you have really great kids.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom