Sucked up Fish Vacuuming?

Whitelightning

Member
I've heard of horror stories of people accidentally sucking up their fish while vacuuming and that their fish get shredded. Has this ever happened to any of you? I just got a vacuum/siphon and have never vacuumed before. I'm nervous of sucking up my betta by accident after hearing these stories.
 

mattgirl

Member
Pay very close attention to what you are doing and keep a close eye on him and this shouldn't happen. Don't start the vacuum process and walk away to do something else.
 

JLAquatics

Member
It is much easier to avoid sucking up fish if you only have one or a few fish to constantly monitor. For me, it would be too hard as I have baby shrimp all over the place in my tank, and they are super small.
 

The2dCour

Member
I have had a tiger barb notice I was vacuuming up a piece of food he decided he wanted, he made it up and back out on his own before I could blink. Bettas I'd imagine youre fine as long as you pay attention, I don't think they can move fast like that lol.
 

Kathylee

Member
Whitelightning said:
I've heard of horror stories of people accidentally sucking up their fish while vacuuming and that their fish get shredded. Has this ever happened to any of you? I just got a vacuum/siphon and have never vacuumed before. I'm nervous of sucking up my betta by accident after hearing these stories.
I've read the stories too! I gravel vacc all by hand. I have molly fry almost 100% of the time
So I just crimp my hose while im syphoning, just in case a fry accidentally gets in the Tube. (they are very curious & not afraid to closely investigate!) By crimping hose, I can control water pressure. I have sucked up a few newborns unknowingly, found them in pale after & put back in tank. I did pinch one baby & killed it when I first started. Learned to watch closely.
 

Flyfisha

Member
Remove the flappy self starting valve if your vacuum has one so fry and shrimp can pass down the hose without an issue. Moving fish with a hose is standard practice in commercial fish farming.
Definitely avoid any fish big enough not to be able to fit in the small hose.
Yes I had an adult corydoras die the day after an accident.
 

smalli

Member
Whitelightning said:
I've heard of horror stories of people accidentally sucking up their fish while vacuuming and that their fish get shredded. Has this ever happened to any of you? I just got a vacuum/siphon and have never vacuumed before. I'm nervous of sucking up my betta by accident after hearing these stories.
i got a snail once but it escaped with no harm i just sucked it up and he floated back down also my snails play with the water bubbler by just floating on the bubbles to reach high places cause they are too lazy to climb
 

mattgirl

Member
I too have had a cory go up my siphon tube. Fortunately I saw her as soon as she started up. I put my finger over the end of the hose to stop the flow and she wiggled back out. I have also siphoned up pleco fry and tiny shrimp. I siphon into a white bucket so it is easy to spot the travelers. My gravel vac is a straight through contraption so nothing but the size of the fish/shrimp will impede their trip through the hose.

It is more likely to happen in a community tank but with just a single Betta in a tank, paying close attention should prevent an accident. Keep your finger close to the bucket end of the siphon so you can stop it quickly should your little guy get too curious.
 
  • Thread Starter

Whitelightning

Member
mattgirl said:
Pay very close attention to what you are doing and keep a close eye on him and this shouldn't happen. Don't start the vacuum process and walk away to do something else.
Thank you for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it! Wow, I would never even think of doing that since I'm so scared! Again, thanks for the feedback!
CheeseHoarder said:
It is much easier to avoid sucking up fish if you only have one or a few fish to constantly monitor. For me, it would be too hard as I have baby shrimp all over the place in my tank, and they are super small.
Ahh, that makes sense! I only have one betta to keep track of, so that's good! Wow, that sounds difficult! Thanks for the feedback!
The2dCour said:
I have had a tiger barb notice I was vacuuming up a piece of food he decided he wanted, he made it up and back out on his own before I could blink. Bettas I'd imagine youre fine as long as you pay attention, I don't think they can move fast like that lol.
Oh my goodness that would scare me if my fish did that!
 

BabsandLoon

Member
If you are really worried you can just put a piece of fishnet up panty hose in over the opening of the intake tube. Just secure it on with a rubber band and you should be good to go.
 
  • Thread Starter

Whitelightning

Member
Kathylee said:
I've read the stories too! I gravel vacc all by hand. I have molly fry almost 100% of the time
So I just crimp my hose while im syphoning, just in case a fry accidentally gets in the Tube. (they are very curious & not afraid to closely investigate!) By crimping hose, I can control water pressure. I have sucked up a few newborns unknowingly, found them in pale after & put back in tank. I did pinch one baby & killed it when I first started. Learned to watch closely.
That's vert smart! Thank you so much for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it! Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that!
Flyfisha said:
Remove the flappy self starting valve if your vacuum has one so fry and shrimp can pass down the hose without an issue. Moving fish with a hose is standard practice in commercial fish farming.
Definitely avoid any fish big enough not to be able to fit in the small hose.
Yes I had an adult corydoras die the day after an accident.
Thank you for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it! Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about that!
smalli said:
i got a snail once but it escaped with no harm i just sucked it up and he floated back down also my snails play with the water bubbler by just floating on the bubbles to reach high places cause they are too lazy to climb
That's good that it escaped! Oh that's funny that they do that! I've never had snails before!
mattgirl said:
I too have had a cory go up my siphon tube. Fortunately I saw her as soon as she started up. I put my finger over the end of the hose to stop the flow and she wiggled back out. I have also siphoned up pleco fry and tiny shrimp. I siphon into a white bucket so it is easy to spot the travelers. My gravel vac is a straight through contraption so nothing but the size of the fish/shrimp will impede their trip through the hose.

It is more likely to happen in a community tank but with just a single Betta in a tank, paying close attention should prevent an accident. Keep your finger close to the bucket end of the siphon so you can stop it quickly should your little guy get too curious.
Thank you so much for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it! This is very helpful, thank you!
BabsandLoon said:
If you are really worried you can just put a piece of fishnet up panty hose in over the opening of the intake tube. Just secure it on with a rubber band and you should be good to go.
That's a smart idea! Thank you for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it!
 

IzabelB

Member
I had this happen to me a month ago with a long finned betta. His fins got torn up and he lost a lot of scales but he survived and is steadily recovering.
I was paying complete attention to my tank and I swear he teleported into the tube, watching the tank closely doesn’t garuntee that it won’t happen.
Since then I scoop him up in a container and float It in the tank while I’m removing water. People also recommended putting shear tights or mesh over the front of the hose, I tried it and don’t like it but it works for others.
 
  • Thread Starter

Whitelightning

Member
IzabelB said:
I had this happen to me a month ago with a long finned betta. His fins got torn up and he lost a lot of scales but he survived and is steadily recovering.
I was paying complete attention to my tank and I swear he teleported into the tube, watching the tank closely doesn’t garuntee that it won’t happen.
Since then I scoop him up in a container and float It in the tank while I’m removing water. People also recommended putting shear tights or mesh over the front of the hose, I tried it and don’t like it but it works for others.
Oh. My. Gosh. Now I'm really scared! I am SO sorry that happened to you and your fish. That must have been an awful experience. I hope he is doing better! Thank you for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it!
 

Nessaf

Member
This is another reason why I like to hand vacuum, but it still can happen. Just last water change I checked the bucket the next day and noticed one of my baby plecos in there. Transferred him back, no harm, no foul.
 
  • Thread Starter

Whitelightning

Member
Nessaf said:
This is another reason why I like to hand vacuum, but it still can happen. Just last water change I checked the bucket the next day and noticed one of my baby plecos in there. Transferred him back, no harm, no foul.
Awww, that's so scary and sad! I'm so sorry! So glad he's okay!
 

StarGirl

Member
I've had them teleport into the tube also. She came in from the back side behind my arm. She was where I could see her to in the tube in a split second. Have to really watch a lot. Can't get distracted.
 
  • Thread Starter

Whitelightning

Member
StarGirl said:
I've had them teleport into the tube also. She came in from the back side behind my arm. She was where I could see her to in the tube in a split second. Have to really watch a lot. Can't get distracted.
Gosh, that's so scary! So sorry that happened to you as well! Thanks for the feedback!
 

Flyfisha

Member
I am glad I am not the only one that accidentally leaves fish in a bucket of dark brown water overnight as it settles into a clear liquid with sediment. But I would never admit to it Nessaf thanks for your honestly.

Babsandloon have you seen this video of gravel travelling up and down the large hose before going out the small?
A fishnet or pantyhose on the end leaves you with nothing more than a hose sucking water. That is not vacuuming substrate.

Stargirl I see Cory has a new video on this subject.
I will let you be the judge as to why he needs to post another video that will get over one million views.

Good luck to the guy anyway. At least he posts videos of his hobby/ livelihood which is more than can be said for the likes of me that just criticises his motives.
 

BeGreene

Member
Flyfisha said:
I am glad I am not the only one that accidentally leaves fish in a bucket of dark brown water overnight as it settles into a clear liquid with sediment. But I would never admit to it Nessaf thanks for your honestly.

Babsandloon have you seen this video of gravel travelling up and down the large hose before going out the small?
A fishnet or pantyhose on the end leaves you with nothing more than a hose sucking water. That is not vacuuming substrate.

Stargirl I see Cory has a new video on this subject.
I will let you be the judge as to why he needs to post another video that will get over one million views.

Good luck to the guy anyway. At least he posts videos of his hobby/ livelihood which is more than can be said for the likes of me that just criticises his motives.
Thanks for the video links! I learned a lot!! Was running out of water in my 10g before I was done vacuuming
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom