Sucked Betta Up Battery Powered Vacuum

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello Fellow Fishlorians.

I was vacuuming my tank when I accidentally sucked up my female betta. She was in the tube for 5 seconds.

She has some damage to her head and her eyes are bulging a bit. Should I be worried? She did not hit the propeller though.

Below are pics of the damage and the vacuum.

She is stressed right now. Her fins are clamped and she doesn’t swim around.

Attachments

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would turn off the lights and leave her alone because she's very stressed out right now. Just let time tell what developes from this and if action needs to be taken.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it’s a waiting game, but, IMO, she’ll be okay, although she does appear ruffed-up.

I disagree about turning the lights off. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My reasoning is that since it's dark, fish feel more safe and when they feel safe (especially when they are vulnerable) it means less stress because she's shocked right now.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Repolie said:
My reasoning is that since it's dark, fish feel more safe and when they feel safe (especially when they are vulnerable) it means less stress because she's shocked right now.
I think that's something we do more for ourselves than anything. Having a consistent day and night cycle is more important, in my mind, than what we presume is better for the fish. I say presume, because we don't actually know whether having the lights off in times of stress really helps.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
scarface said:
I think that's something we do more for ourselves than anything. Having a consistent day and night cycle is more important, in my mind, than what we presume is better for the fish. I say presume, because we don't actually know whether having the lights off in times of stress really helps.
To each their own thoughts.

OP
75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Something I’m worried about is that she is in a sorority and is the dominant one.

Another betta could try to step up due to having a small injury.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
75g Discus Tank said:
Something I’m worried about is that she is in a sorority and is the dominant one.

Another betta could try to step up due to having a small injury.
I would get a breeder net/box. She would still be in the tank but safe. Id like to see a side photo to check her fins. She will be weak and could not make through any female betta fight that could happen. It is a waiting game, when my female bettas slipped through my divider it was basically the same thing, they are stressed, weak and have ripped fins. Give her some time and then check those fins for any possible infections if ripped and then healing her up so she can be a sassy queen in the sorority again.

OP
75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a breeder box, but it is tall, not long. I don’t want to cramp her. The problem is that I will be leaving in 11 days for a 3 week vacation.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Go buy a long breeder box and put her in that. Add lots of cover for her in it.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
She could heal up in 11days. My females healed up from their fight in a week. ( Other then their permanent injury's... Poor iris and her mouth will never be the same) They are females and have short fast healing fins.

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
how do you know she's the dominant one? that's really interesting. I hope she feels better and returns to putting her sisters in their place

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
midna said:
how do you know she's the dominant one? that's really interesting. I hope she feels better and returns to putting her sisters in their place
I haven't started mine but you will notice. She will chase the other around and they WILL listen to her. She picks the fights and is usually the biggest.

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
because in jurassic park, there's always an alpha female in the velociraptor packs lololol they do the same thing (and sometimes kill each other)

Something Smells Fishy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
Growing up with an uncle who's a betta breeder, he always kept the room dark because betta do not like bright light.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Something Smells Fishy said:
Growing up with an uncle who's a betta breeder, he always kept the room dark because betta do not like bright light.
People keep them with lights all the time with no problems. It’s not like they live in deep sun-blocking jungles.

New Threads