Such a thing as a black Chinese Algae Eater?

AzpherOmega

Hi. A year or two back, there used to be a fish in my local clininc's aquarium. I have scoured every last google image for this exact fish, and I have never quite found it. For several years whenever I visited I would watch this fish frantically suck around their tank. But now that I've gotten into fish keeping, they're gone.
The closest match is a Chinese Algae Eater, but I have my doubts it was one for several reasons.
  1. It was completely black, patterning sort of subtly spotty. I cannot find a single image of a black Chinese Algae Eater.
  2. I definitely saw it there for several years, and it never got bigger. It was about 3 inches long, max. I believe CAEs grow to 7, so unless they remain small for a long time it didn't seem right.
  3. It was definitely not in any way aggressive. If it was just a wierd juvenile, I guess it would make sense, but it was kept with 2 huge, slow cichlids(?) which according to my research, would be a prime target for a hungry CAE.
It definitely wasn't a Plec or Siamese Algae Eater. Possibly some kind of loach but I dont remeber seeing whiskers and it wasn't terribly long or slender. If it helps I can draw a picture of it.
Its fins were round and not held to the body, it sucked very fast, unlike a Plec which tends to sit for a long while. Its eyes were big and angled upwards, very cute. And again, completely black, even the fins. Maybe a lighter underbelly, which I of course couldnt really see. I really, really want to find this fish. I find it hard to believe my local clinic would have a really rare or unusual fish, so I must be missing something obvious.
fish.png

Oliver T.

Hi. A year or two back, there used to be a fish in my local clininc's aquarium. I have scoured every last google image for this exact fish, and I have never quite found it. For several years whenever I visited I would watch this fish frantically suck around their tank. But now that I've gotten into fish keeping, they're gone.
The closest match is a Chinese Algae Eater, but I have my doubts it was one for several reasons.
  1. It was completely black, patterning sort of subtly spotty. I cannot find a single image of a black Chinese Algae Eater.
  2. I definitely saw it there for several years, and it never got bigger. It was about 3 inches long, max. I believe CAEs grow to 7, so unless they remain small for a long time it didn't seem right.
  3. It was definitely not in any way aggressive. If it was just a wierd juvenile, I guess it would make sense, but it was kept with 2 huge, slow cichlids(?) which according to my research, would be a prime target for a hungry CAE.
It definitely wasn't a Plec or Siamese Algae Eater. Possibly some kind of loach but I dont remeber seeing whiskers and it wasn't terribly long or slender. If it helps I can draw a picture of it.
Its fins were round and not held to the body, it sucked very fast, unlike a Plec which tends to sit for a long while. Its eyes were big and angled upwards, very cute. And again, completely black, even the fins. Maybe a lighter underbelly, which I of course couldnt really see. I really, really want to find this fish. I find it hard to believe my local clinic would have a really rare or unusual fish, so I must be missing something obvious.
Your probably thinking of a hillstream loach, there quite common and a great algae eater, they also need a decent water current for them to be happy

Upvote 0

AzpherOmega

Your probably thinking of a hillstream loach, there quite common and a great algae eater, they also need a decent water current for them to be happy
Nope! Definitely didnt have the sort of 'puddle' shape to them, like some suckers. Very normal fish body, but with the sucker mouth. Also huge eyes, several times the size of theirs proportionately.
Edit: In fact, they didn't seem to be able to 'stick' at all. I never saw them on the side of the glass, otherwise I would have seen their underside.

Upvote 0

AzpherOmega

One very close match I can find is the... Garra? Garra Rufa? Which is apparently those fish they use to clean feet...? Seems a very strange thing to have in a clinic, and there was only one of them I will say. Not quite as cutesy though, very much goldfish proportioned in terms of their eyes. This wasn't the most amazingly kept tank so I really doubt whoever set it up was into unusual or rare fish, again.

Upvote 0

The_fishy

I agree with the garra suggestion.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
Replies
Views
PeterFishKeepin