Successfully treated Ich with no fish deaths?

Have you successfully treated Ich before with no or minimal fish deaths?

• Yes

Votes: 125 66.5%
  • No

Votes: 63 33.5%

• Total voters

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
During your fish keeping experience, have you successfully treated Ich with no or minimal fish losses?

If so, what method did you use? Heat, diet, medicines, all the above?

Personally, I've used the heat method, with a good diet (frozen foods) and frequent partial water changes while siphoning the substrate with minimal fish loss.

It's been a long time since I've had to battle it and wondering what your preferred method nowadays is for treating this all too common fish disease.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I haven't had to treat it in quite a while but I just used super ick cure from api. I would have used the heat method if I had had an adjustable heater at the time though.

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My cardinals got ich. 10 days before they all died, I rose temp up to 86, and dosed with ich medicine. The ich never went away, the most difficult ich I've ever dealt with.

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I raised the temp to 84 and used ich-x for 3 days. Only my neons had ich and none of them died.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Fish4848

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use eSHa exit anti white spot treatment.
It's a 3 day course, doesn't require raising temperature and it's worked the couple times i've used it.

FloatyGimpy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I used heat only. The Ich went away and I had no deaths.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had snails and all of the Ich treatments I could find locally said not to use on inverts. So I used a very small amount of salt and 86* heat. Worked great!

MissPanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I hate treated and aswell did lots of gravel vacs and water chnages. I had 0 deaths.

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used heat and Paraguard over two weeks. Honestly, I don’t think ich is really all that common. The one time I had a fish with it it was because I bought it sick knowing I could treat it.

adagona

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Salt and water changes with no death. Temperature follows the room temperature as I live in the tropics, which is pretty warm all year round.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to not contract ich yet

H Farnsworth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just encountered ich for the 3rd time and I have to say I was the least lucky this time. I tossed a few white skirt tetras and 3 golden dojo loaches into a qt tank with some levamisole, water temp was 86f. After a week in the warm dewormer solution I put them in my 55. Within 2 days the loaches all had ich. Immediately tried to turn the temp up passed 86f but its so cold right now that the air temp was preventing my heater from going up that high so I was delayed in adding salt by a few days. 2 loaches died before salt was added and after salt was added a honey gourami, a panda and an emerald cory died. Currently things are appearing stable but I still have 10 days left at 4 grams/gallon.

All in all could have been worse.

MacZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Never lost a fish from ich. But a lot of other reasons.

Cantchooseone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have only dealt with ich once and treated it with Kordon's Rid Ich Plus. Use daily and a PWC before each dose with no deaths. (I used it in a tank with a ton of snails, and as far as I know, none died during treatment or after)

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ich-X works really well for me, it's from some Asian company, I don't know the exact name. Phenomenal though.

GlennO

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
About 12 months ago, heat treatment didn't work, must have been a heat resistant strain of Ich. After 2 weeks I switched to meds. Another 2 weeks and finally got on top of it. Lost 2 fish out of about 16, so not bad considering the initial set back.

kered

Valued Member
Reaction score
Heat to above 86f and lights out for a week usually works, I have also used eSHa exit too that worked it also cures velvet if your not sure its ich

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fortunately I have never had to deal with ich but read all of these threads so I will be prepared should I ever need to.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom