Successfully Change Filters In A Cycled Tank?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by CraniumRex, Apr 10, 2017.

1. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

Hi, very new here but have been lurking around and with help here, I have been able to get two tanks set up - a 5.5 gallon and a 10 gallon, both planted and each with 1 betta. Substrate in one is gravel, the 10 g has CaribSea Super Naturals. Tanks have been set up for about 6 weeks and both are cycled (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5) testing with API master kit. I will pull the horseshoe out of my butt on how nicely the cycling went :)

I have a Marina i25 submersible in the 5.5 and a Marina 75 Penguin in the 10 g but I have been looking at replacing them both with sponge filters. The current (ha, pun) filters are both baffled within an inch of their lives but I understand the sponge filters can be a nice addition to a betta tank with gentle flow, plus I like the idea of the ease of cleaning. Also, since I have upgraded my lighting for the plants and replaced the original hoods with glass, nothing fits right.

I have sponge filters on the way - a corner sponge filter for the 5.5 and the XY dual sponge filter for the 10 g. Am I tempting fate to change them out? What would be a good way to introduce the new filter without disrupting the cycle? I can run both filters at once - there is enough real estate and I don't care how it looks.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

100% run both together, for about a month - then you will be good to go! :)

Sponge filters are great but they can be a bit loud, if that bugs you get an airstone to put in the end of the airline running into the sponge filter (or better yet a small powerhead if you dont mind the current caused). My understanding is that the water will flow better without the stone but it is much less loud.

Play with it and get it to your liking :)

EDIT - Oh and welcome!!

3. OP
    OP
    CraniumRex

Awesome, thanks Bizarro252! Thanks also for the info on the loudness - I do have some airstones on order and crossing my fingers they will fit. I got some valves to regulate the air flow (I'm going to run one air pump rated for up to 40 gallons and hoping I can keep it down to a dull roar). I do wish I could do the powerhead thing but these betta fishies just can't cope with current - not so bad in the 10g where he has dead spots but he even gets tossed around with a sponge over the intake, a plastic bottle baffle AND another sponge over the output. Sometimes I think he actually likes it - he's young and seems he goes over there for sometimes 15 minutes at a time letting himself get tossed around in the current! But I digress....

Thanks for the welcome! I love this place :emoji_heart_eyes:

4. Bizarro252

Ya my beta in my 40gal community likes playing in the current for sure. He doesn't have HUGE fins however :)

5. OP
    OP
    CraniumRex

40 gal <envy>

I just got started and I'm already thinking about what I could rearrange to get a tank like that.... I actually found this forum by googling what I fish I could add to my 10 gal with the betta, but after what I've read here, I'm going to leave him on his own. Now 40gal, that's some real estate!

6. Bizarro252

Haha! Be careful, you can (will) get addicted, I started with the 40 gallon (a 40 breeder...IMO a better size than a normal 40, not as tall but deeper) - and pretty quickly wound up with a 5gal, and a 75gal mbuna tank...theeeeen a 20L to keep mbuna fry in to grow out and sell :p

Its a pretty common rule of thumb that you should (if you want to commit to this hobby at least) as big of a tank as you can afford - larger tanks allow for more options and are more stable (more water volume means if things go wrong they go wrong more slowly...).

From my digging around, unless you go custom tank 75-90 gal is where there is a pretty large price jump. I picked up a brand new Aqueon brand 75 just the other week for $140. Hard to find a 125 for double that though, at least where I have been looking :p (I reeeeally want a 125 Discus tank....)

Good luck!

7. D

Da_MOJO Valued Member Member

Not sure where you guys are located, and if the have a Petco in your area. But every so often Petco has a great deal on Aqueon Glass Tanks. 1 Dollar per Gallon! And I believe they offer up to a 75 Gallon tank...so you're looking at only $75!

Now mind you, this cost is only for the glass tank. You will have to purchase the Hood/Lighting separately. But it's still a GREAT deal IMO. I think they are actually having that sale now until 4/29.

I purchased a 29 Gallon, and am already looking to get something bigger! I think it's called OMT Syndrome (One More Tank)...LoL

8. Bizarro252

Sadly most locations dont carry the 75, BUT they do have the 55 (IMO the layout of that size is to skinny front to back at only 12 inches tho). SOME locations do tho, couldnt hurt to call and check :)

9. OP
    OP
    CraniumRex

Thanks guys. I'm actually located in Canada, so sadly no Petco. There are some really nice online stores - pretty much what I'm stuck with for plants and other items as my local PetSmart isn't that well stocked.

OMT Syndrome aaaaack, yes. Now, if I just get rid of all my furniture, I can fit at least two more... :D

Oh Discus! They are so beautiful. Watching fish is 10x better than most of what I see on tv these days! I'll just cut my cable and imagine what I could afford!

10. D

Da_MOJO Valued Member Member

Hahaha...I like the way you think. I just might have to adopt your mentality (get rid of furniture to make more room). And I couldn't agree with you more about watching fish. My family thinks I'm crazy as I'll just sit in front of my tank staring at my "fin-babies" for who knows how long. It's peaceful and relaxing...and as you said, way better than most crap on TV!

11. Bizarro252

Glad to hear I am not the only one who legitimately wants to downsize the couch so I can fit in a 6 foot tank....:D

12. OP
    OP
    CraniumRex

Glad to hear I am in good company! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice