Successful nerite snails breeding!

DannyDanDaniels
I’m a biologist and this is my first attempt breeding nerite snails. Has been a long journey, full of patience, but everything is going as planned. I started by acclimating freshwater nerite snails into brackish water. Long process, but successful. After that they started breeding and a few months later the capsules start hatching. Now, I have thousands of larvae swimming all around and a few hundreds extremely small snails. Here are some videos and photos. I would like to know what you think about it and if you have any suggestions. From what I understand everybody says it’s impossible.

jake37
How did you make your brackish water ?

DannyDanDaniels
jake37 said:
How did you make your brackish water ?
With aquarium brackish salt. You can use saltwater salt also. The most important thing is add it in small amounts in a long period of days. For me it take about two to three months of acclimation .

SanDiegoRedneck
DannyDanDaniels said:
With aquarium brackish salt. You can use saltwater salt also. The most important thing is add it in small amounts in a long period of days. For me it take about two to three months of acclimation .
What concentration of salt did you reach before successfully hatching eggs?

DannyDanDaniels
SanDiegoRedneck said:
What concentration of salt did you reach before successfully hatching eggs?
Around 1.006 SG is when things start getting crazy, by that I mean sighting of almost microscopic organisms in the water. I’m keeping it between 1.006 SG to 1.010 SG

richiep
I must say this is some achievement well done and I follow with interest,
Few questions
The little things buzzing around look like seed shrimp or is this a larvae stage before they morph to snails?
Why not just move the eggs to brackish water? I thought they hatched after 4weeks but you say a few months correct me if I'm wrong?
Well done

mimo91088
Awesome!

DannyDanDaniels
richiep said:
I must say this is some achievement well done and I follow with interest,
Few questions
The little things buzzing around look like seed shrimp or is this a larvae stage before they morph to snails?
Why not just move the eggs to brackish water? I thought they hatched after 4weeks but you say a few months correct me if I'm wrong?
Well done
It is the larvae stage before they morph. I don't know with exactitude how much they take to hatch, because they where acclimate from FW to BW in the same aquarium and there where eggs/capsules since the first week. It may take more or less for others because of the specific gravity. I try to move the eggs at first, but they get damage pretty easy. It's safer this way. Any other questions, I'm here for answers

richiep
DannyDanDaniels said:
It is the larvae stage before they morph. I don't know with exactitude how much they take to hatch, because they where acclimate from FW to BW in the same aquarium and there where eggs/capsules since the first week. It may take more or less for others because of the specific gravity. I try to move the eggs at first, but they get damage pretty easy. It's safer this way. Any other questions, I'm here for answers
Thanks for explaining keep us updated this is very interesting stuff

Peacekeeper
DannyDanDaniels said:
I’m a biologist and this is my first attempt breeding nerite snails. Has been a long journey, full of patience, but everything is going as planned. I started by acclimating freshwater nerite snails into brackish water. Long process, but successful. After that they started breeding and a few months later the capsules start hatching. Now, I have thousands of larvae swimming all around and a few hundreds extremely small snails. Here are some videos and photos. I would like to know what you think about it and if you have any suggestions. From what I understand everybody says it’s impossible.
Interesting.

I have had two nerite zebras in my 65g freshwater tank for 36 months. White unhatched eggs being commonplace during this time. Last month, one snail got stuck in a suction hole on the water jet...I saw it after work but it was too late. It died. So, now one nerite snail left. And two weeks ago, I notice baby snails. The snails are congregating on my big sponge filter which gets squeezed clean once a month. After 36 months...only now the eggs are hatching...which was never a goal. So, these baby snails are a "problem" for me and my tank..lol. Every day me and my kid look at them get bigger and bigger. Damned if I do..damned if I don't kinda situation. The only reason I can think why this has happened is because I let the tank stay dirty too long a month ago or so (return to work post quarantine was super busy). A small bottom feeder also died cause the tank wasn't cleaned. The water is always clear...never gets brackish...but I'm sure the ammonia and nitrite was high. Algae on walls was present more than usual for sure. I cleaned the tank two weeks ago and noticed the babies Anyways...I told my kid that I need to clean the sponge filter soon...alot of the baby snails will perish. I plan on contacting a good LFS to see if they have ideas...or would take the snails. Not sure of that's still a thing due to COVID. I'll try to attach pics.

jake37
Is that possible - to hatch nerite snails without salt ? Is it possible they are some other pest snail ? In that third to last picture the snail in question certainly doesn't look like a nerite.

richiep
They are not nerite snails they are a small common snail, the eggs on the driftwood will not hatch,

Peacekeeper
richiep said:
They are not nerite snails they are a small common snail, the eggs on the driftwood will not hatch,
Gotchya. Any idea how they got in the tank? I haven't added any fish or plants or substrate in two years.

richiep
the only logical thing to think of is they came in on food, or a net thats been used on different tanks

Lucas35
No one says it is impossible to hatch nerite larvae. What people say is impossible it getting them to metomorphosize into juvenile snails. I have looked on every forum and website I could find and could not find a case of the larva changing into adults. Good luck though. I would love to breed Nerites to.

LHanna61
Peacekeeper said:
Interesting.

I have had two nerite zebras in my 65g freshwater tank for 36 months. White unhatched eggs being commonplace during this time. Last month, one snail got stuck in a suction hole on the water jet...I saw it after work but it was too late. It died. So, now one nerite snail left. And two weeks ago, I notice baby snails. The snails are congregating on my big sponge filter which gets squeezed clean once a month. After 36 months...only now the eggs are hatching...which was never a goal. So, these baby snails are a "problem" for me and my tank..lol. Every day me and my kid look at them get bigger and bigger. Damned if I do..damned if I don't kinda situation. The only reason I can think why this has happened is because I let the tank stay dirty too long a month ago or so (return to work post quarantine was super busy). A small bottom feeder also died cause the tank wasn't cleaned. The water is always clear...never gets brackish...but I'm sure the ammonia and nitrite was high. Algae on walls was present more than usual for sure. I cleaned the tank two weeks ago and noticed the babies Anyways...I told my kid that I need to clean the sponge filter soon...alot of the baby snails will perish. I plan on contacting a good LFS to see if they have ideas...or would take the snails. Not sure of that's still a thing due to COVID. I'll try to attach pics.
Those look like Rabbit Snails-- Nerites have round shells and 100% need salt to hatch

I'm going to follow this thread because I ALSO just started a brackish tank (it's been cycled for a couple weeks now and I added the snails a couple weeks ago. Hopeful to see what happens! Good luck to us both!

LHanna61
DannyDanDaniels said:
so you have an update on this? did they make it to adulthood?

NoahLikesFish
Great job!

susman32
Good job ! Hows going after a half year ? how are they look now ?

Kribensis27
I'd like to know too. I've gotten the eggs to hatch a few times, but mine have never made it past the hatchling stage.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom