Successful Discus Care

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by tjander, Apr 25, 2017.

1. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

From what I have read, it seems as if Discus are not for me, I travel 2-3 times a month for 5 days on a trip. Feeding I can manage with an auto feeder system, it's the water changes that kill it for me. Do you really need to change the water 3-5 times a week?
    My community tank gets a 50% change every two weeks or so.
    I understand Discus require clean water but this seems excessive ???
    My question is it really necessary to do water changes that often?

Thanks

2. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Depends on what type of food and how much waste and how planted the tank is. I would simply do 100 percent ground cover and NOT feed beef heart.

3. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

What do you mean by 100% ground cover?

4. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Personal preference. When looked at from above your tank near 100% coverage of your floor space means your are very heavily planted. That means your plants will take on a huge percentage of your filtration. Really the aim for a heavily planted is more than 70% coverage... I just love a mix of fast and slow growers.

Granted CO2 needs and good lighting could be a requirement.

5. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

No, I dont think they are for you, automatic feeders can fail and kill your whole tank. Discus need to be very well fed to grow to their full potential, and more than constant water changes it is all about giving them pristine water (and I really mean it), mainly, giving them a very low nitrate level. If you can achieve this with something else than constant water changes then you will not need frequent water changes.
    A lot of people where I live that keep discus feed them special homemade food as apparently commercial food just dont cut it, some even go to the extremes of doing water changes either daily or every other day for the first year.

6. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Yes I agree until I get a different position I just don't see keeping Discus as a good option. Thanks for the advice

7. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

I don't keep discus, or a group I like even more, Satanoperca eartheaters, because they are a treadmill. Wonderful fish, but from such an extreme (to us) environment that you either stay on the water quality or you lose them.
    I run clean tanks, but with a job and a family, fish that took that much attention had to go. I kept them for years, but as my job changed, it became clear that I was shortchanging them. I think your asking yourself these questions now is wise. There is no enjoyment in constantly battling illnesses in the tank.
    There is a world of interesting fish that let you do once a week water changes and are as rewarding as Discus (but it's hard to beat those Satanoperca...).

8. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

I would say they are not for you.
    the frequent water changes (as in daily or 3-5 times weekly) is for growing out juveniles more than keeping Adults.
    Keeping a heavily planted tank would definitely help, Although if you have never kept a heavily planted tank before then you would be taking on 2 different
    endeavors at one time. both of which I think are task that should be tackled separately before trying to do them together.

read this thread below on massive water changes and you might have a better understanding on why it is recommended.
    Massive water changes, are they needed?

9. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Thanks again... I fully understand the need and benefits of water changes. But as I said I think based on the care needs, my limited availability to care for them, and oh let's not forget the cost of the fish.
    I just don't think I will go down this road anytime soon. Seems like a good retirement project.
    Thanks all for the advise.

10. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

LOL!! "A retirement project?" You made me feel so old ... You are right though, discus are often too time-consuming and too expensive for a young persons budget in college and just starting out with a family.

11. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Yeah but I am 55 and still working my butt off...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice