Success!

• Thread starter fjh
  • Start date

fjh

Well Known
So for anyone who has read my other threads, my third attempt at breeding the red pair was a success! I think my issue before was removing the female too quickly at the smallest sign of aggression.

So... last night I put the jarred female in the breeder tank (male was already in there). Turned the lights off and watched some TV. Come back 2hrs later... and there is no female in the jar!!!! So I hurriedly turn the lights on and look around the tank. First thing I see is my male sitting near the surface. NOT MOVING. I poked the water in front of him... nothing. I poke him... nothing. Thinking my female killed my male, I was going to move him back to his tank to see if he was really dead when suddenly he jumps alive and starts swimming around. He was just sleeping thank god! (are all men such deep sleepers? ;)) Anyway I found the female also sleeping and put her back in the jar with a net and rubber band over the top this time so she couldn't jump. Next day, checked on them - male was building his bubble nest, female was still in the jar.
I fed some grindal worms then I let the female loose after dinner tonight and forced myself to leave. I come back a few hours later and walk in on them embracing and watching the dad pick up eggs! I will check on them again in the morning and remove the female sometime tomorrow. Here is a really bad picture of the bubble nest ;)
20200925_234312[1].jpg
Wish me luck!

Convoluted77

Good luck! Hopefully your fishies didnt get too beat up from the adult wrestling. :)

fjh

Well Known
update: so I removed the female a few hours ago because the male was being really aggressive and forcing her to wedge herself underneath rocks (that shouldnt even be possible) and since they werent vreeding anymore I thought Id let her recover. (shes doing great btw with just a few missing scales it looks like.) However, since removing her, the male is nonlonger attending the nest. He wont blow more bubbles to replace the popped ones and actually disrupts it whenever he swims by. It has shrunk considerably and I cant see any eggs in it. Now I KNOW there were eggs at some point because I saw them embrace and the male collecting the eggs. Did he just eat all the eggs out of the nest so now there is nothing to care for? Or is he just an inexperienced dad who messed up? Or am I missing something and there is actually a chance the eggs are fine?
Thanks in advance!20200926_120824.jpg

jkkgron2

Well Known
He might just be inexperienced. Sometimes they eat the eggs if they don’t know what to do or are hungry. How did you condition them for breeding?

fjh

Well Known
jkkgron2 said:
He might just be inexperienced. Sometimes they eat the eggs if they don’t know what to do or are hungry. How did you condition them for breeding?
I'm going to put it down to inexperience. I fed him as much as he could eat right before releasing the female. I conditioned him for about 2 weeks before breeding (female was conditioned for around a month).

Cinnabar

Aw, what a bummer... are you going to try them again? Really looking forward to following this project

jkkgron2

Well Known
fjh said:
I'm going to put it down to inexperience. I fed him as much as he could eat right before releasing the female. I conditioned him for about 2 weeks before breeding (female was conditioned for around a month).
Sounds like inexperience. Do you plan on trying again?

fjh

Well Known
Cinnabar said:
Aw, what a bummer... are you going to try them again? Really looking forward to following this project
jkkgron2 said:
Sounds like inexperience. Do you plan on trying again?
Yup, I'll probably try again end of October. Give the female time to recover and condition her again, and condition the male for a full month this time. I'm kinda bummed but hopefully next time it goes better!

Top Bottom