Success Story Mixing Tropical Fish With Goldfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onlyashes

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I have a 55 a 38 and a 29g tank I recently moved 3 of my Mickey mouse plattys from my 55 to my 38 that has 2 large black moors in it the tank is always 73 degrees even when I leave the window open and it gets to like 60 in my apartment the plattys can like in like 68-78 so I thought why not I'll try it and they love it the black moors enjoy the company the plattys enjoy the black moors there happy as can be I love it has anyone else ever mixed tropical and goldfish?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My wife tried that before, it was ok for a while...something happened to the tank and that was the end of that...I think it was a parasite that wiped the tank.

I've seen on youtube that a person said having a gold fish in a discus tank would work cause the gold fish would eat up the left over foods that the discus didn't eat. It was quite amazing and the theory is kind of there in terms that goldfish should be able to live in warmer temperatures as they adjust to temperature changes well.

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd imagine mixing Tropical and Coldwater fish mostly results in a loss for one, or both parties.

Optimum water for the trops will result in an increased metabolic rate for the coldwater fish, thus decreasing their lifespan. Optimum temperature for the Goldies will result in decreased Metabolic rate in the trops, thus making them lethargic.

Onlyashes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Room temp it stays at 72-73 there doing well

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
SE USA - not quite in the middle of nowhere, but d
Experience
More than 10 years
I overwintered a baby goldfish in my temperate 40 gallon tank. The goldfish started out at guppy size and by last month, when I put it in the pond, it had grown out to about 3 1/2 inches or so.

I'd say in the short term, it's fine, but not for the longer haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 45 65.2%

Top Bottom