Success (so far) with split 20 gallon betta tank!

Mamastacia3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI all,

I hope everyone is doing their best to stay healthy and sane in this new craziness that is life in the world nowadays!

Since you might have some extra time to lounge around on fishlore (my favorite website these days), I thought I’d share the adventure of creating a split tank with my two bettas, Simon and Ted!

Simon was my original betta, had him for a year and he was happy as could be in his own 10 gallon tank with two nerite snail pals.

But then I made the mistake of going to Petco about six weeks ago for some supply or other for Simon (though I try not to!)

There were the little sad betta cups as usual and one little sad, sad thin, sparse little white betta who just grabbed my heart with his big eyes. I thought I’d rehab him and then rehome him to a good home but soon realized no one was going to take care of him the same obsessive way I had. Ted slowly healed and grew stronger and happier, and his fins grew back and he gained back the shimmery rose-gold color he was meant to be - such a beautiful boy!

I couldn’t keep him in his 2 gallon tank (even though he seemed happy enough) when Simon had 10 gallon to himself, so I decided to upgrade to a 20 gallon and split the tank. I had to get a 20 gallon high bc the shelf I had for them was not long enough for a 20 gallon long, unfortunately (which would have been better for the surface-loving bettas).

There was some trial and error, including a super cool looking hollow-eyed tree creature that ended up leaking, and a large piece of driftwood that seemed to infect one entire side of the tank with a white feathery slimy goo. Out went the cool branch decor, out went the driftwood (along with a 90% water change and scrub down of all the plants and walls of the tank), started all over....sad, but healthy happy fish are the priority.

I finally seem to have set up the ideal tank for two bettas, for now anyway. They were acclimated and released two days ago...all seems well so far. They have a sturdy black opaque divider that allows just the very slightest peek of each other on the edges, so they’ve been flaring at each other some, though it seems to have settled down somewhat...at first they were serious but now they are just like “flare, nah nah I see you” and then they swim away.

This might seem OCD but on Ted’s side (rose gold half moon) for his substrate I picked out stone by stone, to choose white stones and slightly pinkish or goldish stones, with an occasional iridescent pink or gold stone to show off his coloring. He looks beautiful in his new space! And Simon got a modified version of his old tank set up to make him feel at home.

They both seem happy, I hope that stays the case. Photos attached, thanks for letting me share!!

Cheers,
Stacia
F7B60E0D-272F-4CF6-95A8-3FCF23C2B96D.jpeg
8A7AA5B4-F2B6-4910-988B-34F136193BFE.jpeg

TucanSam

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not to rain on the parade, but if the white fuzz was on the driftwood it was probably fine. Happens to a lot of wood.

Good looking setup for your boys though!

Pythia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mamastacia3 said:
HI all,

I hope everyone is doing their best to stay healthy and sane in this new craziness that is life in the world nowadays!

Since you might have some extra time to lounge around on fishlore (my favorite website these days), I thought I’d share the adventure of creating a split tank with my two bettas, Simon and Ted!

Simon was my original betta, had him for a year and he was happy as could be in his own 10 gallon tank with two nerite snail pals.

But then I made the mistake of going to Petco about six weeks ago for some supply or other for Simon (though I try not to!)

There were the little sad betta cups as usual and one little sad, sad thin, sparse little white betta who just grabbed my heart with his big eyes. I thought I’d rehab him and then rehome him to a good home but soon realized no one was going to take care of him the same obsessive way I had. Ted slowly healed and grew stronger and happier, and his fins grew back and he gained back the shimmery rose-gold color he was meant to be - such a beautiful boy!

I couldn’t keep him in his 2 gallon tank (even though he seemed happy enough) when Simon had 10 gallon to himself, so I decided to upgrade to a 20 gallon and split the tank. I had to get a 20 gallon high bc the shelf I had for them was not long enough for a 20 gallon long, unfortunately (which would have been better for the surface-loving bettas).

There was some trial and error, including a super cool looking hollow-eyed tree creature that ended up leaking, and a large piece of driftwood that seemed to infect one entire side of the tank with a white feathery slimy goo. Out went the cool branch decor, out went the driftwood (along with a 90% water change and scrub down of all the plants and walls of the tank), started all over....sad, but healthy happy fish are the priority.

I finally seem to have set up the ideal tank for two bettas, for now anyway. They were acclimated and released two days ago...all seems well so far. They have a sturdy black opaque divider that allows just the very slightest peek of each other on the edges, so they’ve been flaring at each other some, though it seems to have settled down somewhat...at first they were serious but now they are just like “flare, nah nah I see you” and then they swim away.

This might seem OCD but on Ted’s side (rose gold half moon) for his substrate I picked out stone by stone, to choose white stones and slightly pinkish or goldish stones, with an occasional iridescent pink or gold stone to show off his coloring. He looks beautiful in his new space! And Simon got a modified version of his old tank set up to make him feel at home.

They both seem happy, I hope that stays the case. Photos attached, thanks for letting me share!!

Cheers,
Stacia
F7B60E0D-272F-4CF6-95A8-3FCF23C2B96D.jpeg
8A7AA5B4-F2B6-4910-988B-34F136193BFE.jpeg
Nice!
By the way, I saw the thread you posted about rescuing Ted!

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Glad things are working out, that’s a good looking divided setup

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice job! I really like how at first glance each side looks mirrored by the other at first glance, but all the details are different. Is Ted the one on the right?

New Threads