Subwassertang

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by slimeneo, Dec 6, 2012.

1. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

I found some Subwassertang on ebay and was wondering how to care for it. I googled it but didn't really find anything...

Will it carpet? I assume it needs to be tied to a rock. Is it possible for it to grow on a plastic mat/canvas and then spread onto the gravel?

& also would you recommend pellia or subwassertang (they both look similar)?

2. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

I have never had it, but have read a lot into it. From what I have gathered, it is fairly slow growing (prone to algae because of this), it seems like it is easier to maintain netted to a rock, and if it grows too thick the growth underneath will rot out and create a mess. You may be able to tie it to a stainless mesh and place it on the gravel, and then use the trimmings to spread it. I'm not sure if it would creep along the substrate though. It is a really neat looking plant though.

Also, round pellia is süßwassertang, if that is what you are asking. With it tied to a rock it would give that ball look that seems to give it character.

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I have it in two of my tanks....I just tied it to a piece of pvc pipe and it just grows..no special care.

I don't think it will carpet, mine grows into a bush.

4. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

OH ok, for some reason I thought pellia is different.

Hmm you're right, I guess netting it to a rock would be easier. What could I use for the net though?

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

You can use fishing line or sewing thread. In one of my tank I just have it clumped into a corner without tying it.

6. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Ok :) Thanks so much!

7. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

For netting to rocks, I use bath puffs (or whatever they are called) that are taken apart, cut out what I need to hold it down, and then tie it off on the bottom with a small zip tie.

8. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Ooh, that's a good idea. I would have never thought of that xD Thanks!

9. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

My subwassertang grows bushy also, even under high light. It's a cool plant though, looks kinda like seaweed.

It's a relatively slow grower, but not like java fern slow. Mine pearls at the substrate level but I have been suspending it just below the surface over the past few days to see if it makes a noticeable difference in growth. Otherwise it's doubled in size in about 2-3 months.

10. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

I dose flourish comp and api leaf zone, so hopefully that will help growth too :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice