Subwassertang growing help

bored411

So I've got a golf-ball size bunch of subwassertang in my 10 gallon that's been there for months. It's grown and has gotten bushier after a little bit of browning (which has faded). I have it tied to a decoration in the tank with some sewing thread, but it's not growing outward across the decor. I would like it to basically carpet across the decoration, but instead, I see little green threads (they're not roots as subwassertang doesn't have roots per say, but I don't know what to call them) and they're growing long and straight up! I recently upgraded the light to a Fluval Aquasky and I dose with Leaf Zone and the occasional CO2 booster liquid. My anubis and java fern are doing well. I just want this plant to spread across the decor and not... well, whatever it's trying to do.

So, question is, how do I get it to spread across? I'm concerned trying to break a small chunk of it off would just make a mess and I wouldn't get a chunk but several loose pieces that I can't tie down. Suggestions?

ChrissFishes01

So I've got a golf-ball size bunch of subwassertang in my 10 gallon that's been there for months. It's grown and has gotten bushier after a little bit of browning (which has faded). I have it tied to a decoration in the tank with some sewing thread, but it's not growing outward across the decor. I would like it to basically carpet across the decoration, but instead, I see little green threads (they're not roots as subwassertang doesn't have roots per say, but I don't know what to call them) and they're growing long and straight up! I recently upgraded the light to a Fluval Aquasky and I dose with Leaf Zone and the occasional CO2 booster liquid. My anubis and java fern are doing well. I just want this plant to spread across the decor and not... well, whatever it's trying to do.

So, question is, how do I get it to spread across? I'm concerned trying to break a small chunk of it off would just make a mess and I wouldn't get a chunk but several loose pieces that I can't tie down. Suggestions?
I've had literally 0 luck controlling my Subwassertang. It's done what it's wanted to and nothing else, so I gave up, lol.

The best that I could say is to treat it like a Bonsai Tree. As it grows, go in with some fishing line and tie the new growth, and rinse and repeat. Eventually, it may attach itself or begin to grow over the fishing line. I didn't care enough to do this, but I'd imagine it'd work!

bored411

I've had literally 0 luck controlling my Subwassertang. It's done what it's wanted to and nothing else, so I gave up, lol.

The best that I could say is to treat it like a Bonsai Tree. As it grows, go in with some fishing line and tie the new growth, and rinse and repeat. Eventually, it may attach itself or begin to grow over the fishing line. I didn't care enough to do this, but I'd imagine it'd work!
Yeah, I got it about half its current size and it was flatter but now it's puffed up a bit. I've been trying to search the internet for tips but most people do what I've done (or let it free float until it settles, which I don't want) and it "goes crazy," which I'm not seeing. I might try separating it in half and trying with two bits of it then repeating the process. It's all I can think of. I can get java moss if that grows better but I don't know if it does or if it won't spread like the subwassertang. :/

BlackOsprey

I've found that subwassertang is a very passive grower. Once it finds a nice spot, it'll just stay there and grow into a denser, larger clump without spreading out very much.

If you want it to spread, you'll have to harvest the new growth and place it around the tank by hand. Just gently pull off some of the original clump, spread it over the gravel, do your best to not disturb it, and be *very* patient. Subwassertang isn't very buoyant and it can attach itself to surfaces, so if it's left undisturbed on top of some gravel, it will attach itself.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views
Adam510
Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views