Subtropical Stocking Idea, Need Help With Numbers 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Elle2128, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Elle2128

Elle2128Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone, so I am currently considering stocking my 40 gallon breeder with subtropical fish.

My current thoughts are as follows:

A school of white cloud mtn minnows

a weather loach (can they be kept alone? seen conflicting info), or pepper corys

and some combination of the following:

Varaitus platy

Green lantern platy

Rosy barb

Odessa barb

Paradise gourami (single no matter what)

My question mostly is about numbers. How many in a school of white clouds, and how many of the other types? Would you do all of them in smaller numbers, or pick a couple types and do more of those?
    Also, when stocking the tank, which one/ones would you start with? I am not sure if I should try and stock all at once or give my tank some time to get going and then add.

Currently cycling, but trying to make a plan for when its ready.

Thoughts and ideas are really appreciated!!!

2. TucanSam

TucanSamValued MemberMember

My rule off thumb for schooling fish is six minimum for them. I believe this holds true for wcmm at the least. Shoot for six.

I believe that dojo loaches can be kept singly, unlike other loaches, but they again probably will do better in a school. I've had friends who kept them alone just fine though.

I'd also think fewer but bigger groups would be more interesting and healthier for the fish. Haven't had any of the others though.

3. OP
    OP
    Elle2128

Oh yeah, I was def. planning on keeping at least 6 white clouds, I meant more of how many can I keep in my size tank without going overboard, lol. Was thinking more around 12 or 13 myself, but unsure of how many would be too many with my other stocking as well.

4. TucanSam

TucanSamValued MemberMember

Ahh, I misunderstood. I'm terrible at stocking calculations so I'm no more use to you. Sorry! :p

5. JonJal

JonJalValued MemberMember

I follow the 1 inch per gallon rule (roughly). I always figure the max size growth for each individual fish compared the tank size. For example...a white cloud mtn minnow can reach up to 1.5" so 10 minnows would take up "roughly" 15 gallons. A paradise gourami at 3" = 3 more gallons used. If you have alot of rocks and/or driftwood decorations etc..subtract their estimated displacement as well. There are alot of debates over the 1" per gallon rule but just remember...more fish = bigger bioload = more filtration and maintenance. Rosey Barbs can get quite big as can dogo loaches so unless you plan to upgrade to a larger tank later be aware. Just configure each fish to it's maximum size capability and assign it a value adding up to but not over 40. Im not an expert...but that is just my take. Hope it helps.

6. OP
    OP
    Elle2128

No, it makes sense. I was on the fence about the dojo loach because of their size, but they are the only loach I am aware of that is ok in subtropical temps besides the hillstream, which seem to be a little more difficult to keep.

I'm not 100% set on any of them, so if you have a suggestion for numbers you think make sense, leaving some out, such as the Roseys, or not, feel free to suggest!

7. JonJal

10 white cloud mtn minnows
    1 paradise gourami
    2 rosey barbs
    2 Odessa barbs
    1 dojo loach
    This would be maxed load for sparsely decorated 40 gallon in my opinion.
    I excluded the Platys because the breed like rabbits and wouldn't want to overload your tank with a bunch of fry which most likely would be eaten by the barbs or the gourami.

8. OP
    OP
    Elle2128

Yeah, if I do platys I would only do males. No breeding happening here, lol

9. JonJal

Here is my 75 gallon.
    5 keyhole cichlids at 4" = 20
    7 yellow rainbowfish at 4"= 28
    1 bristlenose pleco at 6" max = 6
    9 platys at 2" max= 18
    Total tank load 72. But with my manzanita driftwood and dragon stone im pushing it.

10. OP
    OP
    Elle2128

your tank is gorgeous! Love the rock set up. I need to find some good rocks, but they are sooo expensive, lol. And most of the rock I can find around here has traces of limestone or other things that react to the vinegar test so I've resigned myself to having to buy it, lol

11. JonJal

Yes. Good, safe rock is very expensive..as well as manzanita and mopani. Thank you for the compliment. Keep searching...im sure you'll find something beautiful and affordable.

12. Noroomforshoe

NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

I am coming in here late, but i wanted to urge you to keep the barbs in schools of no less then 6 per species!
    Loaches are very social. If you dont have room for at least 2, please dont get one. if your tank is less then 48 inches long, a full grown 10 inch dojo loach doesnt have much room.
    Also, rosey barbs max out at 6 inches, really too big for your tank.

How about
    7 peppered cories,
    6 odessa barbs
    8 minows
    4 same sex platies

13. OP
    OP
    Elle2128

No worries, I ended up discarding the idea because of similar reasons as I researched more.