Subtropical fishes suggestions

3876T
Hey guys, I am making a new Himalayan/Tibetan biotope tank which consist of fishes from rivers which originates from the Himalayas. Since most of the fishes which lives in rivers and lakes that originate from Himalayas are subtropical I need some suggestions
pls help me decide

YellowGuppy
Welcome to FishLore!

That sounds pretty niche! The best step forward might be finding what fish from that region you can get access to; if you're dead set on that build and there's only a single Tibetan species you can access, that eliminates the need for any decision making.

If you can easily acquire 3 or 4 different species, posting their names (and care needs, maximum sizes, diet, and temperature ranges) might allow other members to chip in with suggestions accordingly.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

Ghelfaire
You are a bit limited with tank size and coldwater fish.
Since I don't know what size you are making it I'm going to assume you want smaller fish that resemble the Himalayan fish.

Mosquito fish (get 1") look a lot like juvenile mahseer

Pearl danios (the plain whitish ones) semi resemble snow trout

There's a type of dwarf snakehead in the Himalayas and I would suggest a grudgeon for it but I'm not sure they can do coldwater.
3876T said:
Hey guys, I am making a new Himalayan/Tibetan biotope tank which consist of fishes from rivers which originates from the Himalayas. Since most of the fishes which lives in rivers and lakes that originate from Himalayas are subtropical I need some suggestions
pls help me decide

3876T
o
YellowGuppy said:
Welcome to FishLore!

That sounds pretty niche! The best step forward might be finding what fish from that region you can get access to; if you're dead set on that build and there's only a single Tibetan species you can access, that eliminates the need for any decision making.

If you can easily acquire 3 or 4 different species, posting their names (and care needs, maximum sizes, diet, and temperature ranges) might allow other members to chip in with suggestions accordingly.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!
ok thx!
Ghelfaire said:
You are a bit limited with tank size and coldwater fish.
Since I don't know what size you are making it I'm going to assume you want smaller fish that resemble the Himalayan fish.

Mosquito fish (get 1") look a lot like juvenile mahseer

Pearl danios (the plain whitish ones) semi resemble snow trout

There's a type of dwarf snakehead in the Himalayas and I would suggest a grudgeon for it but I'm not sure they can do coldwater.
i have a 90 gallon tank
so i can pretty much keep any type of fishes
except a mahseer lol!

Ghelfaire
Ok, Google is useless if you just type in fish that livd in the Himalayas.

So there are a few different rivers the Brahmaputra, which turns into the Jamuna and merges with the Ganges.

And by searching for fish specifically from one of those rivers I'm sure you can find what you are looking for.

Rhyu
I'm not sure on fish for this, but I did find that on seriouslyfish if you go into their advanced search you can search by country or river:

Advanced Search — Seriously Fish

that might help a lot get some ideas.

3876T
tnx guys I have finally decided
I am gonna go with some channa bleheris and a school of indian glass fish and some rosy barbs! I am also gonna add some honey and rainbow gouramis in it too
Tnx for u suggestions guys!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom