Subtropical Centerpiece

Quinn_Lamb98

How big of a tank are you thinking?

Have you considered sunfish? There are dwarf sunfish that only get to 1-2 inches long.

86 ssinit

What your building is a cold water tank. Paradise fish would fit but may eat the minnows. Most of your centerpiece fish for a cold water set up may eat the minnows. May want to look into another school and forget the centerpiece.

AquaAlic

What your building is a cold water tank. Paradise fish would fit but may eat the minnows. Most of your centerpiece fish for a cold water set up may eat the minnows. May want to look into another school and forget the centerpiece.
How big of a tank are you thinking?

Have you considered sunfish? There are dwarf sunfish that only get to 1-2 inches long.

I'm planning on at least a 55 gallon

What about red shiners and white clouds?

Quinn_Lamb98

I can't speak on how that work work as I've got no experience with them.

But may I make a suggestion on the tank size? As someone who had a 55 gallon for years before upgrading to a 75 (now a 90), I would suggest starting at the 75 size. The added depth is quite helpful in stocking and scaping the tank. Plus it opens up a whole new can of worms in what size of fish/how large a school you can keep.

AquaAlic

I can't speak on how that work work as I've got no experience with them.

But may I make a suggestion on the tank size? As someone who had a 55 gallon for years before upgrading to a 75 (now a 90), I would suggest starting at the 75 size. The added depth is quite helpful in stocking and scaping the tank. Plus it opens up a whole new can of worms in what size of fish/how large a school you can keep.

Yes definitely a 75 would be better, but still I'm having trouble thinking of any centerpiece for this type of tank

Quinn_Lamb98

Aside from a goldfish it is hard to come up with a coldwater centerpiece fish that isn't going to eat the minnows.

The red breasted tilapia gets large but apparently is a mostly herbivores fish. It's hard to research anything on tilapia because everything that comes up is just aquaponics.

With a large enough tank you maybe could get away with a crayfish without it being able to get at the minnows.

Purhaps an axolotl if you can deal with the huge amount of waste they create?

Look into goodeids. The bulldog can get to 12" apparently.

AquaAlic

Hmm ok, maybe I should keep it simple and just think of a second schooling fish to go with white clouds

goldface

I think a Paradise could work, actually. I just don't think it'd make an interesting centerpiece, especially in a 55g. Where are you located? If it were me, I'd go native. Maybe do some stonerollers or creek chubs to compliment the minnows swimming above. Only thing is, you'd probably have to net or trap them yourself, or visit some tackle shops and see if they have any in the bait tanks.

AquaAlic

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AndrewP
  • Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
Elle2128