Subtrate For Goldfish Tank

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have always (and by always I mean a lifetime for some of you) used gravel in my goldfish tanks. I know many say it isn't wise due to choking hazards. I personally, have never experienced this but I do realize it is a justified concern. I was talking with another member about this topic and started thinking about it a little more. Can you guys tell me what subtrates you use, if any? Type, color, size, etc. Thanks so much.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't keep goldies anymore, but if I did I'd probably go with natural colored sand. I feel like a sandy bottom with a few larger rocks as a hardscape and then prehaps a stand of jungle val would make a wonderful fancy goldfish tank.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Demeter said:
I don't keep goldies anymore, but if I did I'd probably go with natural colored sand. I feel like a sandy bottom with a few larger rocks as a hardscape and then prehaps a stand of jungle val would make a wonderful fancy goldfish tank.
Thanks for the aquascaping tip. I'm moving my female goldies into another tank away from the males and may do something different like this. Just to compare the two subtrates and see which I feel is best. I can't complaint about sand if I've never used, right?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
75g Discus Tank said:
I used fine sand. It's easier to clean and there isn't a choking hazard.
Were you able to still vacuum it? What about the gases that I read can build in it? What type of sand did you use. Sorry for all of the questions.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My brother used play sand from home depot in his old gold fish tank. And you can't vacuum the sand like gravel, because the sand would be sucked up the vac. But you can just go over the sand just above the surface and pick up the dirty stuff that way!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wrs2 said:
My brother used play sand from home depot in his old gold fish tank. And you can't vacuum the sand like gravel, because the sand would be sucked up the vac. But you can just go over the sand just above the surface and pick up the dirty stuff that way!
That's what I'm worried about. I deep vac my gravel when I clean my tanks and a mess comes out of them. This is weekly. I'm not sure how I can do the same with sand. Thanks for the reply.

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Goldiemom said:
Were you able to still vacuum it? What about the gases that I read can build in it? What type of sand did you use. Sorry for all of the questions.
I don't have goldfish, but I do have sand as a substrate in 2 of my three tanks. One has a course grain, almost like tiny little pellets, and the other is more fine. I actually find that the finer sand is easier to clean. But either one is better than gravel! Any leftover food, dead plant matter, or fish poop, rests right on the surface. It makes everything easier to see so you when you clean, you know you're getting all of it!

As far as the pockets, as long as the sand is disturbed occasionally, that shouldn't be a problem. You could look into compatible snails or bottom feeders to add to the tank, which would stir it up for you. Or you can just do it yourself every once in a while as you do water changes.

I have several panda corys and a few plecos that do the job for me.

I'm actually planning on changing out the gravel in my betta tank for sand while they temporarily live in my backup.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use fine sand I got from a nearby lake. I did mix in a little bit of BDBS. I don’t have a problem with anyone using gravel, however. If it works for them, fine. Personally, I don’t think I’ll ever get away from sand with goldfish, as mine seem to like filtering through it. It’s interesting seeing them suck in sand, then spit it back out at you.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
I use fine sand I got from a nearby lake. I did mix in a little bit of BDBS. I don’t have a problem with anyone using gravel, however. If it works for them, fine. Personally, I don’t think I’ll ever get away from sand with goldfish, as mine seem to like filtering through it. It’s interesting seeing them suck in sand, then spit it back out at you.
They do that with the gravel too. I just don’t want them swallowing it.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks to everyone. I think I’ll try sand in a new tank I’m setting up. I’ll keep the gravel in the other ones until I decide which one I like.

Jessica J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What kind of sand would you use in a community tank? Like guppy and platy for example, wanted to do a 10g setup with sand and some live plants. Does it have to be from the pet store or could i go to a lowes and get it like sand box sand? I use a gravel in my 20g and 10g right now. Its works fine but not that pretty to me and not cheap neither lol got about 40 dollars of gravel in the 20g and it still needs more. Would sand hold the plants down better have a problem with our plants coming out the gravel.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just use play sand. You need to rinse it really well but it's cheaper and IMO better. Though I've read pool filter sand is good too, but I've never used it myself. As for plants, I have some in one of my tanks and they don't seem to have any issues staying in the sand.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Goldiemom said:
I just used super fine sand. To vacuum, just hover about 1-2 inches above the substrate.

I create a small current above the detritus. It sucks up a little sand, but it won’t be too much.

To prevent anaerobic areas, get a ton of MTS.

I recently saw somebody in Houston sell about a quarter gallon’s worth of MTS.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good to know! Thanks for the info. Gonna try it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom