Substrate

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
stupidly i ordered a couple plants for my new 10 gallon tank without doing much research.

red ludwigia peruensis (4-8 stems)
a bundle of dwarf hair grass
2oz container of java moss

i bought these plants in hopes my creamsicle molly gets pregnant soon, providing a place for fry to hide. and just for their comfort.
i have a thin layer of normal gravel at the bottom of the tank. from what ive read these plants need to be fertilized from the substrate.
what is a good substrate to use that has fertilizer in it that i can add to the tank so i wont have to worry about it for awhile?

also, i have a pond in my front yard with some fancy goldfish and snails with what i believe to be hornwort growing in it. would i be able to take some of this for the tank? or would that be a bad idea?

thanks!

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i have high quailty soil if thats possible to use, fox farms ocean forest.

also have a bunch of plant fertilizer. organic general hydroponics and fox farm. highly doubt thats aquarium safe.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Type of lighting? DHG needs high light to thrive, as well as root tabs. Red Ludw. needs medium to high light. Hornwort is very easy and doesn't need much to thrive well. Java moss needs medium light. I use a mix of Flourite black and Eco Complete for substrate in most of my tanks. Only one tank has river sand. So yeah, what type of lighting do you have?

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i only have 850 lumen of 6000k daylight LED for the time being. is there any way to just use gravel?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, gravel wlll be fine and always good, but with gravel, I strongly suggest root tabs. I never plant any rooted plants without those no matter the substrate. : )

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thin substrate won't really support root growth, and gravel isn't good for dwarf hairgrass. Small carpeting plants like a finer, soil based substrate, which are nutritious enough to not need root tabs. However, sand with root tabs may also work if you're on a budget. Note that eco-complete and seachem flourite are not soil based and are pretty inert nutrient-wise, and will also require root tabs.

The moss can be glued or tied to wood/rocks, it's the easiest to grow of the plants you got.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom