Substrate Types

remy113

Active Member
Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
40
Hey guys me again with another question about my 30 gallon tank. I’m think of changing to a theme and pulling the fake rock out. Now I am thinking of doing a kinda beachish theme with a couple pieces of drift wood in the corners with maybe java moss and have fern in the tank (want to attempt plants). So right now I have cheap fake pebbles in there thou I want to empty. What do you guys use for substrate? And how do you clean your substrate?
 

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,504
Reaction score
1,527
Experience
4 years
If you are going for a beach look, I recommend getting pool filter sand for you tank. I have it in my 2 tanks and it looks nice. I just swirl the siphon above the sand and the debris only goes into the siphon.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
remy113

remy113

Active Member
Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
40
RedLoredAmazon said:
If you are going for a beach look, I recommend getting pool filter sand for you tank. I have it in my 2 tanks and it looks nice. I just swirl the siphon above the sand and the debris only goes into the siphon.
Hmm I’ll have to look to see if I can buy some local maybe that would work. And curious to know what everybody uses. Also if I go with sand should I ad it slowly to avoid it getting all cloudy in the water?
 

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,504
Reaction score
1,527
Experience
4 years
I got mine at a pool store. The guys there said they sell more pool filter sand for fish rather than for pools! Lowe's sells pool filter sand too. Just don't buy the sand that says it has been treated with clorox bleach; I used Quikrete brand pool filter sand for my smaller tank.
 

LowieTheLoach

Active Member
Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
92
Experience
1 year
I use play sand in a few of my tanks. I thoroughly rinsed it in dechlorinated water several times before adding to the tank. I would imagine rinsing would be helpful with pool filter sand as well. It was still a little cloudy for about a day, but it could have been worse.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
remy113

remy113

Active Member
Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
40
RedLoredAmazon said:
I got mine at a pool store. The guys there said they sell more pool filter sand for fish rather than for pools! Lowe's sells pool filter sand too. Just don't buy the sand that says it has been treated with clorox bleach; I used Quikrete brand pool filter sand for my smaller tank.
I don’t have a store like Lowe’s... Walmart and one mom and pop hardware store lol maybe I’ll order it off amazon
 

sassymomma

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,932
Reaction score
1,406
Experience
4 years
Are you In Canada? Canadian Tire and Home Hardware carry pool filter sand. I buy mine at Canadian Tire
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
remy113

remy113

Active Member
Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
40
sassymomma said:
Are you In Canada? Canadian Tire and Home Hardware carry pool filter sand. I buy mine at Canadian Tire
Hahah no but close thou lol border in 1800 feet from my house to cross into stanstead Quebec. I’m pretty sure the my local hardware store pick and shovel carry’s pool sand I’ll check there
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
257
Guests online
2,698
Total visitors
2,955

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom