Substrate Question

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't recommend mixing substrate because it doesn't look the best. Even if you use a black gravel, it still looks odd. One of the things most people don't know is that the bottom isn't always entirely covered in substrate. Especially when aquascaping and putting heavy rocks in the aquariun, sometimes foam or other media is placed down underneath. You could also treat your aquarium like a vivarium where you put down a larger media, then cover it in a substrate barrier, and then your eco complete substrate over the top.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
As a rule of thumb, one pound of substrate per gallon will give you one inch of substrate. For planted tanks you want an inch and a half to two inches, so two pounds per gallon, more or less. A bag of Eco-Complete is 20 pounds, so 5-6 would give you the desired depth in a 75 gallon.

Planted tank substrate isn't cheap, aquasoils cost even more. The cheapest planted tank substrate you can use is good ol' dirt. Buy a few bags of organic potting soil, sift it, put down a one inch layer, and cap with an inch and a half of fine gravel or coarse sand.

jmako

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks folks. Curious though, could I lay some black foam in under the rocks, put an inch of sifted potting soil in, then cover with eco-complete? I'd like the bottom to be black. Also, is the foam safe for the plants/fish/shrimp?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
jmako said:
Interesting. Thanks folks. Curious though, could I lay some black foam in under the rocks, put an inch of sifted potting soil in, then cover with eco-complete? I'd like the bottom to be black. Also, is the foam safe for the plants/fish/shrimp?
Another alternative to foam is to fill a mesh bag with rocks. Really good way to fill in excess space.

Eco-Complete over soil would be too many organics in the water IMO. Instead I'd cap with black sand, black gravel, or something unique like crushed black lava rock. Over my soil I used black ceramic spheres, though that was for a 3 gallon and would not be cost effective for a 75!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom