Substrate mix with Geophagus

dbblackdiamond

Hi,

Still working on the planning for my next planted 120G tank. One of the fishes i would like to keep are Geophagus Tapajo.
Lately, i have been researching substrates as at first, i thought of doing a dirted tank, but i know that doesn't work with Geophagus. I do like the idea of having nutrientd in the soil instead of using root tablets, so i wanted to get everyone's opinion on using a mixed substrate capped with sand. The mix will be 1/3 sand, 1/3 gravel and 1/3 tropica soil powder or seachem fluorite.

What are your thoughts on that mix with the Geos? My reasoning for having the mix is that i get some of the benefits of dirt, but in a way that is more compatible with Geos.

Thanks a lot in advance,
B.

CHJ

I have only run jurupari and would only run sand for them. Capping, well they are going to sift everything so that will not work out well. They really like sifting. I had no plants in my tank at the time so I don't know if they would uproot them or shred them.
I'm guessing Tapajos work the same way. They look much prettier than the jurupari.

MacZ

With Geophagus, Guyanacara and similar genuses only sand is the way to go. The whole Geophagini tribe/clade including dwarf cichlids needs sand to chew.

dbblackdiamond

With Geophagus, Guyanacara and similar genuses only sand is the way to go. The whole Geophagini tribe/clade including dwarf cichlids needs sand to chew.
Thank you for the response, but i guess my question is: is seachem fluorite sand or tropica soil powder toxic for them, ie is it going to hurt them if they sift it?
I have only run jurupari and would only run sand for them. Capping, well they are going to sift everything so that will not work out well. They really like sifting. I had no plants in my tank at the time so I don't know if they would uproot them or shred them.
I'm guessing Tapajos work the same way. They look much prettier than the jurupari.
From everything i have read, it is possible to keep plants with Tapajos and they usually don't tend to uproot or dig them out.

MacZ

Thank you for the response, but i guess my question is: is seachem fluorite sand or tropica soil powder toxic for them, ie is it going to hurt them if they sift it?
The former is too coarse and can damage their gill rakes, the latter will clogg your filter within a week. I find soil and digging or sand sifting species don't work.

dbblackdiamond

The former is too coarse and can damage their gill rakes, the latter will clogg your filter within a week. I find soil and digging or sand sifting species don't work.
Ok. Thank you very much for the answer.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheWalkman
Replies
Views
belveder69
  • Question
Replies
Views
toomanyfishes