Substrate "life Span"

sinned4g63
Not sure if this is the right area but it seemed fitting.. I tried a 5 gallon aquascape and failed miserably cause I had no idea what to do but figured "hey plants need water, can't go wrong.." I was. So wrong. Since then I used the tank for my betta but I want to redo it since it currently is gravel and some fake plants and I want to do the real deal since my 10 gallon is doing so well (setting up a DIY c02 kit now). My question is about the substrate I used when I tried the 5 gallon at first. It is fluval stratum and when the tank failed I cleaned everything and rinsed the substrate and stuck it in some plastic bags on the back deck. Was that ok? Is it still "good" to use again? If so what should I do before putting it in the tank, just a quick rinse?

iDon'tCare
That all depends on how heavily planted the tank is, how much light, etc. All I can tell you right now is that it'll last more than a year.

sinned4g63
I mean it's been sitting outside dry, that's all. It was in the tank for maybe 2 or 3 weeks before I took it all out. Just wanted to make sure it was safe to try using again.

iDon'tCare
I think it should be fine with a few extra scrubs.

Briggs
I mean it's been sitting outside dry, that's all. It was in the tank for maybe 2 or 3 weeks before I took it all out. Just wanted to make sure it was safe to try using again.

Has the texture of the little round pellets changed? Are they more brittle or falling apart? If not, I suspect it's fine.

-Mak-
I wouldn't rinse it, just put it in a tank and slowly fill to prevent clouding. Clouding will clear after a little while.

iDon'tCare
I'd say rinse it only to reduce clouding time. Without rinsing even if you add water slowly your tank will look like chocolate milk.

-Mak-
I'd say rinse it only to reduce clouding time. Without rinsing even if you add water slowly your tank will look like chocolate milk.
Unfortunately rinsing a soil substate just breaks it down faster and releases more particles.

sinned4g63
Has the texture of the little round pellets changed? Are they more brittle or falling apart? If not, I suspect it's fine.
I will check tonight, last night I got a little tied up with my 10 gallon and the co2 setup. If rinsing it isn't necessary then I can just take a day to add everything in the morning and by the end of the day hopefully can put my betta back in. I figured as much about it breaking down and whatnot, everything right now is dry and leaves a nice dusting all over my hands haha

sinned4g63
Forgot to update for those who were interested but the substrate upon closer inspection did have some white spots on a few pieces. I couldn't remember if it was like that when I got it but I didn't feel comfortable using it being unsure about what caused the discoloration. Going to hold onto it for now anyways but I got some Eco-complete to do the job. Now to see how the plants like it!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
Utar
Replies
Views