Substrate Help. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Basicfgts, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Basicfgts

BasicfgtsValued MemberMember

Hello everyone! Currently new to this site and the axolotol life.
    I was wondering about how long would it take for play sand to settle inside my tank?
    I made the mistake of not cleaning it before hand and now with the slightest movement of the tank water it gets so murky and hard to see. I was wondering if needed to take the sand out and wash it or will it eventually cycle through and be okay. I also had the thought of washing some sand and packing it down ontop of the previous sand to see if that could nake a difference. Id rather not have to remove all the water because im a few days into my fishless cycle.

2. Bettafishies126

Bettafishies126Valued MemberMember

You definitely should have washed the sand. But I don't know if you have to replace it.

3. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

Yeah i knew i shouldve washed it but my fiancé insisted i didnt have too so he set everything up while i was gone. Ive just been debating on taking the sand out but im not sure.

4. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

I'd give the sand a good rinse and then put it back. What plants are you keeping with the axolotl(s)? I've always wanted to keep one so I researched them but never bought one lmao

5. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

I was just gonna do fake plants tbh. I feel like would go south if i did real ones.

6. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

it should settle in around 24 hours, make sure to clean it first. All you need to do is remove the poop daily and siphon the tank during water changes. Some people suggest to not use any substrate as its easier to clean the bottom.

7. FriarThomasIII

Get really hardy plants like amazon swords and java fern mats. These are super hardy and make your axolotl feel safer and there is no risk of the fake plants scratching your new friend.

8. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

I dont have my axolotl in the tank yet. Ive been more concerned with the sand. Im gonna try washing some later today and packing it ontop of the sand I previously had in to see if it helps.

9. FriarThomasIII

Give it good wash, get super hardy plants that tolerate cool temps. The fern comes in mats that are easy to plant and move, and you can also have pots of plants if you want also. Take a look at this

10. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

11. FriarThomasIII

Thats nice. It also lets you plant into the substrate without the play sand clumping together.

12. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

I guess im just gonna dump the entire tank and restart my cycle. Im only a few days in and my ammonia is only about .25 so im not losing much.

13. FriarThomasIII

I mean, you can still keep your filter and media.

14. LowieTheLoach

LowieTheLoachValued MemberMember

I saw that you were switching to pool sand, but I thought I'd chime in on your play sand issue anyway. I did rinse mine, but the water was still pretty murky when we filled the tank. We stirred up the sand and used the gravel vacuum to suck up the dust. It took many, many vacuumings, but it did work. Not everybody has teenagers to help lug buckets, though. We also used some quikrete sand that I found to be much less dusty. Personally, I really wanted the tan sand so it was happening no matter what.

15. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

I wanna try play sand but at the same time ive spent over 200$ on everything i needed for this axolotl setup so im trying to make the best of this sand. I might try washing some and putting it over my existing sand.

16. LowieTheLoach

I would still vacuum and re-vacuum the holy crap out of it. Gas pockets can build up in sand (according to my research, I haven't actually experienced it) and you'll need to stir it periodically anyway. It's a lot of work, but at least you don't have a bunch of fish in a large plastic tote waiting for you to get done. It had my filter running in it, but still not ideal. Good luck with your axolotls! I want some but my hubby said no more new tanks right now.

17. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

Would just stirring the sand help? Because atm its just settling and i know itll be all on the top, just waiting to be murked up

18. LowieTheLoach

Yes. Stir, vacuum, stir, vacuum. Your filter will probably suck some up too. I'm paranoid and didn't want to risk gunking up my filter with the dust. It got the last bit, but we got the majority of it out before the filter and fish went back in.

19. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

It can take days for fine sand to settle in a tank, it’ll go away. Been there before! If you keep stirring it up it’s never gunna go away though.

20. OP
    OP
    Basicfgts

Well i havent exactly been doing too much with it, just it stirs up super bad when i go to put any decor inside it. Also i got a 50lb bag of pool filter sand for 3$! This lady gave me a deal lmao

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice