Substrate Help

1. Speedy

Speedy Well Known Member Member

Hello,
    I'm fixing to dump my tank and start over and I'm wanted to use a new substrate. This tank will not have live plants just silk and real wood. I'm wanted a dark color like black or dark brown. I don't want big gravel and I don't want fine sand. I'm wanting something in the middle. I have been looking and can't seem to find what I want. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help...Oh I'm planning on making it a betta and maybe some ghost or amano shrimp tank.

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

What about black small pebbles Maybe?
    Do this stock
    1 Betta
    15 Amano Shrimp
    3 Nerite Snails
    Add some moss balls bettas and shrimps love those.

3. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Black Diamond Blasting Sand comes in different grades. Not sure if any are what you're looking for though.

4. OP
    OP
    Speedy

Maybe if I can find some I will look....Yeah I'm hoping my betta will live with the shrimp will just have to try and see.

Yeah I was looking at that found a video on the 20/40 grit but couldn't find anything on the 12/40 grit not sure if that would be to big.

5. JLeeM

I really like my 20/40, but then again I like the sand and have cories.

People use the extra fine sometimes though. So I'd assume you could use the coarser grade. It might stay in place better. Might want to research more though.

6. OP
    OP
    Speedy

The only thing I don't like about sand is you can't clean it deep unless you suck some up and that is a pain to me. Since I don't have live plants I will be doing that. I will keep looking maybe I can find a medium size black pebbles.

7. JLeeM

Most debris sits on top of the sand. You should still poke deep holes with your finger or something though to prevent deadly gas buildups.

8. OP
    OP
    Speedy

I might try sand again if I can't find anything else. Thanks for your help

9. OP
    OP
    Speedy

I'm leaning towards trying the CaribSea Instant Aquarium tahitian moon gravel. I looked up the black rocks and I have only read that they are coated and comes off and the rocks are white underneath. Don't want to take that chance. Plus I'm not sure I want to try the sand blasting sand so I'm going to go the safe route and try the CaribSea plus I need something to help with the cycle since this will be a new tank. Have you Kenny or JleeM used this to cycle a tank? Just wonder if it works....I tried to find out on the net but no one really had said if it works or not.