substrate for refugium

angelfish5765
I just built a sump out of a big rubbermaid container and I have a smaller clear one inside for the refugium. I would like to use it for pods, macro algae, & a deep sand bed for nitrate reduction. My question is, what kind of sand to use or should I use that mud stuff? I can't figure out which is best. Btw, I will also have a clip-on pc light for it, which I'm guessing is enough. ??

CichlidSWAGA
My buddy put crushed coral in his and has lots of stuff growing. But he does have a huge ball of cheeto

Stang Man
I prefer fine grain sand or refugium mud for that type application, If you use crushed there is more penatration in the sand and not enough that flows over the algae. And also will cause more nitrates to be envolved that doesn't serve the purpose.

angelfish5765
What are the pros and cons of the mud compared to the fine sand. And do ou buy live sand for the whole 4 inches or just the top?

Stang Man
The mud is better but you can use either does not really matter the pupose of it is so that the water doesn't penatrate the sand and flows over it and more toward the micro algae and to answer that question is so that the nitrates don't have a chance to build up in the sand there fore it is dead area sort of speaking. Does that answer the question?

Latest threads

Top Bottom