Substrate For Golden Clams

Jamie1114

Reaction score
I have a nicely planted, hard water 20 gallon for my mollies and would like to add a clam. The tank has standard gravel, I'm wondering if that's fine enough for clams? I could add a patch of dirt/sand since they don't seem to travel far, if at all. But how do you siphon during water changes and not lose all the fine substrate, doesn't it shoot up the tube?

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I suppose it would depend on the size of gravel. The problem with adding sand is that it will eventually settle underneath the gravel. Here's a quick video of someone else's clam digging into pea gravel just fine:

OP
J

Jamie1114

Reaction score
scarface said:
I suppose it would depend on the size of gravel. The problem with adding sand is that it will eventually settle underneath the gravel. Here's a quick video of someone else's clam digging into pea gravel just fine:
This is great, thanks!

ZigI Zig said:
Hello
It doesn't have to be sand but something but similar to ECO Plus or fluval stratum I use ECO Plus
Thanks Zigi, this looks like my tank!

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some people also reccomend having them in a small container filled with sand, for ease with target feeding and removal if it dies.

OP
J

Jamie1114

Reaction score
aussieJJDude said:
Some people also reccomend having them in a small container filled with sand, for ease with target feeding and removal if it dies.
Good idea! I ordered two so I'll experiment.

New Threads