Substrate For African Dwarf Frogs

1. oodelally

oodelally Valued Member Member

I'm probably going to be rescaping my tanks with my ADFs and I would like to use Fluorite. I want to go with black but I don't think they will show up very well. But even the regular seems pretty dark. Anyone have suggestions or experience?

I also have ghost shrimp and Amano shrimp and am planning on get some neon tetras, so I'm looking for something that would make them all look their best.

2. babiimoore

babiimoore Well Known Member Member

ive seen my girl miss her food and spit out some smaller pebbles from my gravel. just be careful if its a fine substrate. and i have a light on my tank but my ADFs looked good and were plenty visible on a dark gravel.

3. OP
    OP
    oodelally

Where you using fluorite when she ate it? I want to get bigger gravel but I’m also going to putting a feeding dish in this time.

4. babiimoore

i was just using a fine gravel. if its small enough to fit in their mouths theres always a risk they’ll swallow it. could turn out just fine though, its up to you.

5. OP
    OP
    oodelally

Oh I didn’t realize that fluorite was fine enough for them that it would be a problem. What should I use instead?

6. babiimoore

oh i have no idea if it is! sorry. i was just warning you about small pebbles. and i thought the dark would look fine if the tank is lit.