Substrate Concern?

1. Kaitjm

Kaitjm New Member Member

Has anyone ever received their substrate that they ordered online open upon arrival? The bag has a golf-ball sized hole in the top corner, but I'm concerned about contamination. I contacted the seller and was offered a discount for the busted bag and I don't know whether to scoop up some of the loose substrate in the box and double bag it to use or just return it because it was torn. Thoughts?

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Id return it myself its not worth the risk to me

3. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

depending on what kind of substrate it is...if it can be washed/rinsed or not...but I agree with the above post. You're planning on using that substrate in a (huge- lets face it, this is expensive) investment involving live animals...all it takes is a drop of some foreign chemical to ruin everything...and in that case it'd basically be your tank on the line, not the person who sold the substrate to you...it's temping to just use the substrate but...the safer bet would be to return it....

4. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

No way! Never use anything that’s been opened. Especially when you’re dealing with animals.

5. D

DuyDoraemon New Member Member

Honestly, I dont know why the company is offering to take money off. They should be replacing it completely for free.