Substrate colour important?

Barneyadi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi

I really want some corydoras in my tanks but have seen and been told that a light sand colour is a must. Could this possibly affect what other fish I could have in tank?

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you describe your setup and livestock in a bit more detail?

Smooth sand is really beneficial for corydoras. I have mine on gold and others on regular, white pfs. Have kept them on dark fluval stratum in the past but have been really happy ever since switching to sand. They sort of snurffle around and sometimes pass the sand through their gills so to my mind, it's better to have these guys on their substrate of choice becasue of how they eat. It's also easier to clean the surface of the sand than to wonder if you missed something 'in between'.

Maybe see what other people have experience keeping corydoras on black or blasting sand.

OP
B

Barneyadi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fisheye said:
Can you describe your setup and livestock in a bit more detail?

Smooth sand is really beneficial for corydoras. I have mine on gold and others on regular, white pfs. Have kept them on dark fluval stratum in the past but have been really happy ever since switching to sand. They sort of snurffle around and sometimes pass the sand through their gills so to my mind, it's better to have these guys on their substrate of choice becasue of how they eat. It's also easier to clean the surface of the sand than to wonder if you missed something 'in between'.

Maybe see what other people have experience keeping corydoras on black or blasting sand.
Just restarting a 125l and a 200l tank. Read in practical fishkeeping article about substrate colour for corys, and also asked in a cory keeper group who confirmed light sand is a must. But wondering if other fish might not like the light coloured sand. Possible fish are angelfish, tetras, plecos or a kribensis possibly but not set in stone at moment.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Will this be a planted tank with decor on the bottom? Since you aren't going for a species only tank, my instinct would be to largely prepare for the corydoras. You could always do an island with one substrate surrounded by sand-depending on how you plant, there will be some mixing at the edges but there are ways to reduce/eliminate that.

Having said all that, I am in no way discounting what you read as I've not seen the article nor understand the context. Was the group discussing breeding or just healthy living in general?

OP
B

Barneyadi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fisheye said:
Will this be a planted tank with decor on the bottom? Since you aren't going for a species only tank, my instinct would be to largely prepare for the corydoras. You could always do an island with one substrate surrounded by sand-depending on how you plant, there will be some mixing at the edges but there are ways to reduce/eliminate that.

Having said all that, I am in no way discounting what you read as I've not seen the article nor understand the context. Was the group discussing breeding or just healthy living in general?
One will be planted definitely, although plants can grow in sand substrate. And of course décor.

The group discussion was about the health of the corys.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The color of the sand doesn't really matter as much as the texture of it. Since they pass it through their gills, it needs to be smooth. Play sand and pool filter sand meed this, but often times blasting sand is abrasive. Crayola actually makes a non toxic colored sand you could use with no ill effects. Aside from the pocketbook.
I do agree with catering things more towards the cories, unless you decide to get a more expensive centerpiece fish or something along those lines.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom