Substrate Choice For Corydoras And Kuhli Loach

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by axel, Apr 20, 2018.

1. axelWell Known MemberMember

2. Stryphe89New MemberMember

I can't really speak for the kuhli, but Cories really need a super fine substrate like sand. Anything too rough, like gravel, can damage their barbels and possibly cause infections.

3. CloudTheFluffyValued MemberMember

Sand is best for both. Gravel can injury cory cats barbels if it’s not super smooth. Same thing with kuhli loachs and they like to bury themselves sometimes.

4. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

You can keep cories on pea gravel, but it's recommended to use sand for kuhlis.

5. FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

My cories love the black diamond blasting sand they have. It's also cute to watch them snuffle around in it. Same with the kuhlis

6. axelWell Known MemberMember

then sand it is... but how do you clean their waste with siphon. wouldn't it suck the sand ?

7. Kyleena696Valued MemberMember

Hold your water change tube right above the sand and it should just pick up all the waste. You can very gently touch the sand. But DO NOT just shove the tube into the sand, speaking from experience. I did that in my first ever water change when I had sand. Enough sand went up the tube at high enough speeds that it disconnected the second tube behind the hand pump. Water and sand went everywhere, mostly on me :facepalm:

8. FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

Sand is super easy to clean, you just hold it over the sand, gently taking up waste and detritus. What sand are you getting.

9. axelWell Known MemberMember

something like this .What kind of plant best for sand substrate?

10. LunnieticWell Known MemberMember

Your link to the subtrate won't load for me. Its best to have about 1.5-2 inches high of substrate especially if you are thinking of plants. I have 20 lbs of sand in my 20 bow front. Granted mine is a high.

11. axelWell Known MemberMember

what kind of plant suitable for sand? do i need root tabs? im using silica sand

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice