Substitutes For Aquarium Salt?

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m pretty confident that one of my bettas has columnaris & I’ve read that aquarium salt can be used to treat it. Are there any substitutes to it that I could potentially already have in my home? Also, if he ends up not having it, could adding something like this harm him?

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Aquarium salt 100% cannot be used to treat columnaris, nor is it a fungus. API fungus cure isn't really a good product for it even though they advertise it treats cotton mouth. If there is literally nothing else available, you can try it.

For columnaris, you need antibiotics - kanaplex and furan 2.
Correct dosage and following instructions should be ok, though all meds are dangerous (but not as dangerous as not treating it). Also, you don't need salt for the cure, maybe only after the treatment is done to prevent it from recurring.

Would you like us to take a look at the fishie in question and help you diagnose?

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tunafax said:
Aquarium salt 100% cannot be used to treat columnaris, nor is it a fungus. API fungus cure isn't really a good product for it even though they advertise it treats cotton mouth. If there is literally nothing else available, you can try it.

For columnaris, you need antibiotics - kanaplex and furan 2.
Correct dosage and following instructions should be ok, though all meds are dangerous (but not as dangerous as not treating it). Also, you don't need salt for the cure, maybe only after the treatment is done to prevent it from recurring.

Would you like us to take a look at the fishie in question and help you diagnose?
This is Carl!
Image1525142972.208503.jpg

At first, I thought he cut himself on a plastic plant that was in his tank. I went to PetSmart & one of the workers there did seem to think he had columnaris, so I bought the API Pimafix. I’m not quite sure where I would purchase antibiotics for him & I knew this was a relatively inexpensive option for treatment, & I’m not really able to buy something more expensive than that. Before I medicated him, he was always in his betta bed or in the corner, not moving until I checked on him to see if he was still alive. It has been about 15 minutes since I medicated him & he seems to be responding well. Either that or he’s just angry at me for stirring it in lol.

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since he has cottonmouth, does anyone have any tips on how to feed him? He hasn’t been eating much (if at all) & that’s very concerning. I’ve been feeding him & my other fish flakes but I recently purchased bloodworms. Will he just not eat either or will he respond better to the bloodworms?

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Is cotton mouth the white thing? Or is that a bubble?
Or is it cotton body on the side of his head?

Also I am very sorry to say that Pimafix and anything fix is not going to help at all, it contains exactly zero medication and one sedative. The __fix line a stain on an otherwise great brand.

Re: food - betta should be fine without food for up to 5 days, and with proper treatment that does not involve Anythingfix he should be better by then.

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tunafax said:
Is cotton mouth the white thing? Or is that a bubble?

Also I am very sorry to say that Pimafix and anything fix is not going to help at all, it contains exactly zero medication and one sedative. The __fix line a stain on an otherwise great brand.

Re: food - betta should be fine without food for up to 5 days, and with proper treatment that does not involve Anythingfix he should be better by then.
Yes that’s the white thing. Do you know where I could find the correct antibiotics

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tunafax said:
Which province are you in?

MrPets sometimes has BiFuran and Metroplex.
Walmart has Jungle Fungus Clear which has Furan.
Petland will 100% have Kanaplex.

Let me google what petsmart might have that will help you.
Edit - petsmart has nothing lol.
Alberta! I honestly don’t know when I’ll be able to afford other medications though convincing my mom to buy medication for a fish was a really hard thing to do, and telling her the stuff we bought is ineffective will make her mad lol

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can return Pimafix. Petsmart accepts returns. But yeah, very sorry about that. It gets very pricy when a pet gets sick.

Any chance of a better picture of the white thing?

Also on a budget, Walmart Fungus Clear is not the best and gives mixed results, but if money is an issue it is worth a try if nothing else can be bought/unavailable.

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tunafax said:
You can return Pimafix. Petsmart accepts returns. But yeah, very sorry about that. It gets very pricy when a pet gets sick.

Any chance of a better picture of the white thing?

Also on a budget, Walmart Fungus Clear is not the best and gives mixed results, but if money is an issue it is worth a try if nothing else can be bought/unavailable.
I’ll try to get the walmart fungus clear tomorrow if I can
IMG_8638.JPG
This picture is from yesterday at a different angle. He was bleeding a bit because we moved him into a different tank & I guess he must’ve been scratched by the net

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does anyone know if it’s ok for me to pull out the white stuff coming out of his mouth? I don’t know if it’s something that’s “stuck” to him or if it’s something that can be pulled out with no harm to him

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom