Substitute Anemone for clown fish? Question 

gloryofthe80s

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi

Any ideas for what would make a good substitue anemone for a clownfish?

That is, are there any corals that might take the place of an anemone?

Thanks

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Elegance coral has been used.

gloryofthe80s

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
zeeter said:
Elegance coral has been used.
Thanks - will check it out...

I'm sure I did find a site once that had all the species of clown and the types of hosts that they had accepted, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was!

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just so you know, clowns can beat the heck out of corals.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mine have taken a colony of hair mushrooms to host, clowns can host a wide variety of coral

gloryofthe80s

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
zeeter said:
Just so you know, clowns can beat the heck out of corals.
I'm sure they can. Which is why I'm trying to find something suitable... if any...

gloryofthe80s

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kloseo said:
mine have taken a colony of hair mushrooms to host, clowns can host a wide variety of coral
Thanks! Any particular type of hair mushrooms, or do you know of any other suitable hosts?

Ideally something easy for a salt water beginner...

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you want to go off the beaten track, you can get some of those fuzzy balls from a dollar store or something and they'll host on that. Look at this:

That's just an idea - and I do not know if that particular on is fish-tank suitable. Some people cut things like this in half and use coral cement to place them on rocks. This is especially true for grow out tanks if you're breeding, but I don't see why a non-breeding clown wouldn't be interested. The clown compatibility chart is pretty much useless. If their favorite isn't available they'll take whatever is around, for the most part. You could get something similar to this at Walmart, I'm sure.

gloryofthe80s

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
zeeter said:
If you want to go off the beaten track, you can get some of those fuzzy balls from a dollar store or something and they'll host on that. Look at this:

That's just an idea - and I do not know if that particular on is fish-tank suitable. Some people cut things like this in half and use coral cement to place them on rocks. This is especially true for grow out tanks if you're breeding, but I don't see why a non-breeding clown wouldn't be interested. The clown compatibility chart is pretty much useless. If their favorite isn't available they'll take whatever is around, for the most part. You could get something similar to this at Walmart, I'm sure.
That's an idea! I was looking a "jelly" type fake anemone, but they all looked really fake so I was kind of put off, if I could find an authentic looking one then I guess I'd be happy to go with that...

I like the idea of giving them something "real" to play with, but without wanting to hurt them or the host! If that makes sense?

Thanks for the advice, maybe I need to have another little muse...

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
gloryofthe80s said:
Thanks - will check it out...

I'm sure I did find a site once that had all the species of clown and the types of hosts that they had accepted, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was!
Here is a good one.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the hairy mushrooms are an easy coral for beginners, and they get use to the clowns, so have had no problmes they are a pretty common item in most stores that sell coral and they reproduce easily, pricing depends on the size of the colony you purchase ( i bought mine with 8 mushrooms for around $50) they need around 3 watts per gallon of lighting which is not too much

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom