Question submersive heaters

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hello this is probably a dumb ?? but i see that most of the heaters are close to the bottem of your tanks or even at an angle,i wasnt to sure if you could totally sink your heater in the tank?i am a little nurves in doing this(fear of electricution),what about the cord?is this really safe?just wondering.if it ok i will move and hide my heater better.thanks for your help.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Depends on which heater you have. many are submersible, and in fact can be dangerous if not submersed.
What do you have?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Non-Submersible heaters have hooks on the back to hook over the back of the tank and a water line. It's a real pain keeping the water up over the line but if it's not the heater may break.
Submersible heaters are used more than Non-submersible. Submersibles are much safer and the cords are made for underwater use.
Carol

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
not sure,well dont remember the name of the heater in the 30gal but it does have a min mark on it.in my 45gal it is or says its a submersible one.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The "min" mark is simply the point to which your heater must be submersed. If the heater is not submersed to that point you run the risk of overheating and possibly breaking the glass sleve around the heating element. I would recomend putting the heater no deeper than that point and using a "drip loop" before theplug goes into the outlet. Just make sure the loopis atleast 3 inches below the actual outlet. Also they do sell grounding equipment for aquariums if stray voltage is a concern for your particular aquarium. There is a link to two very reputable aquarium supplys dealers on this site. One is foster and smiths. They sell grounding equipment.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom