Question Submersible Refugium Light

HDavid

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a HOB refugium I’m planning to hook up on the back of my tank and I’m looking for a good light to grow some cheto algae in it. I can find some led, that hang over it, but a long time ago I saw a video where someone set up a submersible grow light that his cheto grew around. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a specific light or insight on the subject as my online research has come up with nothing. Any help is appreciated.

mach6

Reaction score
I saw someone use flexible LED wrapped around a refugium to grow chaeto.

Something like this for example not the actual product.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The submersible light would have to be waterproof. Technically the one I have is water proof but it wouldn't fit in an HOB setup, that and any grow light would raise the water temp. Mine gets pretty hot to the touch. Here is mine and it works well for Chaeto Growth (but I have mine hanging over my sump where my Chaeto Grows):

Here's my grow light with Chaeto a month apart so you can see the kind of growth it produces:

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would just get a simple grow bulb off of Amazon and shine it into it. Or wrap flexible grow LEDs like mach said around the fuge. Either will work well. I personally use the grow bulb.

OP
HDavid

HDavid

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea I’ll probably wind up with an led strip overtop. I just figured if I could get a submersible light I could fit more equipment into the refuge.

New Threads