Submersible heater

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Hamham, Jul 16, 2015.

1. H

Hamham New Member Member

I just a bought a submersible heater and it says " electronic thermostat automatically maintains water temperature at 72+2 degrees"
    also it states " indicator light lets you know when the water is being heated (red light) ".
    So my question is that the red light was only on for a minute and then turned off.. Any reason why that happened? Is something wrong with my heater?? Help!!!

2. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

If the light turned off.. That means it's reading that the tank water is at the desired temperature and the heater doesn't need to turn on until the water drops below the 72 mark. So, when the water drops below 72, the light will come on again.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Relax, it probably means it already achieved the temperature you set it at.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Yep, I also have an automatic heater, and mine only shows the light for a little while too, before it shuts off. :)

5. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Be wary of some of these " Automatic " heaters.
    Always check your tanks temperature with a glass type Mercury Thermometer

6. OP
    OP
    H

Hamham New Member Member

Thank you all

7. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Make sure to always check your temperature, I like to use the thermometers that go directly in the water. Heaters can malfunction and it will either be permanently set to on or off. If it malfunctioned on then you'll need to unplug it otherwise you'll fry your fish, if it malfunctioned off, well your in luck just need to get another heater asap.

Out of all the heaters I've owned I've never had on malfunction on me yet.

8. J

Jkblmm New Member Member

I would also say , place it near to something that is moving water around (filter etc) that way the heater water is circulated evenly through the water column etc

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

By any chance a fluval edge heater?

i have one in my betta tank and that can also not be set at a temperature, automatically keeps it at 77F temperature by default.
    it has a red almost oval light at the top that burns when the heather is active.

It will only be activated when the temperature of the water drops below a certain point
    and shuts down again when the water has the default temperature again.

So like others said...normal operating method of a heater

Also...
    What kind of fish do you have inside the tank?
    72F seems a bit on the low side depending on what type of fish you have / want to add.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  10. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore, Jkblmm!!! :D Good to have you here! And yes, I placed my heater in my 20g near the filter. :)
    Gekco, I think if the heater malfunctions period then it's best to get a new one. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice