Submersed To Emersed Experiment - Growth!

1. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

I took apart one of my tanks recently and had some extra plants left over that couldn't go anywhere else, so I decided to try to transition them to emersed growth. Turns out it was a good idea because I think I killed the rest of the plants with too long of an h2o2 dip :)

Setup: Dollar store plastic container, with a mix of organic potting soil and soil from the compost pile, covered with saran wrap.

Light: Window

Ferts: None so far, I imagine the soil is quite nutrient rich. Next time I add water I may mix some Nilocg Thrive and GH booster in.

Plants:
    Hygrophila siamensis 53B (how did Tropica come up with this?)
    Micranthemum monte carlo
    Hemianthus micranthemoides (pearlweed, possibly hitchhiked in with the monte carlo)

IMG_5496.jpg

I soaked the soil with water and laid the plants down horizontally, so that the leaves could draw moisture from the soil. There was actually too much water and the plants basically sunk down into the soil like quicksand, and I had a hard time getting them to stay above it. In the long run, it didn't turn out to be a big problem.

1 week:

IMG_5491.jpg

It looks pretty gross and there's cyanobacteria growing on the surface of the soil (came from the tank), but the plants are doing very well so far.

IMG_5493.jpg
    Monte carlo starting to peek above the surface

IMG_5495.jpg
    The hygrophila has done a 90 degree turn and the top (or bottom?) is growing vertically now.

I will continue to update! My goal is to get these plants to where they can grow in regular room conditions in very wet soil, but without being covered. This will be really useful for scaping a tank with plants grown above the waterline, but roots in the water. I know the hygrophila is 100% capable of this, as seen in George Farmer's video:
    However, I don't know if I'll be able to get the monte carlo to grow in lower humidity.

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I couldnt watch the whole video but does he ever mention the humidity of his place? I have some Ludwigia Repens at the yard which is naturally emersing. We are in rainy season here so the humidity is of 60% in the day and 90% in tne night. I wonder if once winter comes and this thing becomes a desert again my plants will dry up lol.

3. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

No, he doesn't. It's in an aquascaping shop in the UK, so it's probably not too different from the rest of the northern hemisphere. He does mention that the emersed plants aren't doing extremely well, but I don't know the reason behind that. But you do have really high humidity! I think in my house it's usually around 30%.

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Yep, rainy season for the win lol. I like it not because of me but because of my fish lol, more humidity makes up for more stable temperatures.

5. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Week 3 update!

IMG_5595.JPG
    Not much has happened, they are growing quite well, humidity is lower than it was in the beginning simply because water has evaporated and I haven't replaced all of it - occasionally I do add water though.
    I've certainly noticed that the monte carlo grows at least as fast as it does underwater, though more vertically. It also may not be able to carpet because of the cyanobacteria surrounding it. The hygrophila is a weed underwater, here it is growing rather slow.

IMG_5596.JPG

Side note - I have an gross old bucket of water thats been sitting around since the beginning of this experiment, the monte carlo that I floated in there is also starting to grow above the water in regular room humidity. Though it is probably doing so well because there is water evaporating out from under it.

IMG_5594.JPG

6. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Week 5 (I think?)

IMG_5672.JPG IMG_5673.JPG IMG_5674.JPG

Monte carlo doing great, hygrophila going slow but steady. The newest leaves have a red tinge, which is really interesting to see. Because of the cyano and some anaerobic bacteria in the soil, I changed it out and cut to tops off the hygro to propagate a bit. The small plants I believe to be pearlweed are on the other side. I'm going on vacation to Taiwan and Shanghai and leaving neighbors to check on them, hopefully they'll have grown a bit once I get back!

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

8. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

It's hygrophila siamensis 53b :)

9. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Week 7 or 8?

Came back from vacation last Sunday to find this:

IMG_6011.JPG

So I'm quite pleased!

IMG_6014.JPG IMG_6013.JPG IMG_6015.JPG

Left to right: Hygrophila siamensis 53b, pearlweed, micranthemum monte carlo.
    I'm especially loving how healthy and fast the monte carlo is growing. Will definitely use in future submersed scapes.

Before and after:

IMG_5491.jpg IMG_6011.JPG

Now working on further lowering humidity levels.

10. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Very nice!!!!
    Curious, why lower the humidity levels??? If going to be submerged wouldn't it be better to have higher humidity levels??? (Only did a semi dsm once while it took me a week to plant so have no point of reference)

11. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

I want the hygro to be completely emersed in room humidity (above a tank) for an upcoming scape I have in mind, I might use a plant holder for it. The monte carlo doesn't exactly have a use yet, I have a couple empty tanks it could go in, but for now keeping it emersed isn't a problem. So the priority is the hygro :D