Stupid, Suicidal Fish

msminnamouse

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What's the stupidest kind of fish you've had?

Long skirt Serpae Tetras would be mine. Every single time I have something against the wall of their tank, they shove themselves between it and the wall and get stuck. I can't keep anything near the walls!

My first Serpae killed it's self this way, I guess eventually internal damage caught up with it.

I just found my second one in the group did the exact same thing with a fry saver I put in there!

If I forget and put anything else against a the side, I'm sure the third would do exactly the same. (I was starting with three before I get more.)

I'm down to two from their suicidal behavior.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
for me. Probably this male convict I had with my big Midas. Whenever id feed them, he would attempt to steal pellets away from king Midas. And king Midas would chase him and the one time bit the convicts entire face. And yet the convict continues to repeat this same thing over and over. He just doesn't care if he dies

Terabyte

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Before I changed the internal filter on my 20 gallon to a HOB and Before I got a school of kuhlis, my lone kuhlI loach would get INSIDE my **** filter. I caught him once when I couldn't find him and he was in the filter pad area squirming around. I took that filter out and set it in a plastic container while I put in a penguin 170. The NEXT day as in like 24 hours later I hear the tiny amount of water in that container moving around after I got back from school. I look in the filter and my KuhlI is just chillin in the pad compartment in like barely any water. I didn't know if I had to re-acclimate him but I freaked out so I just dumped him back in the tank.
TLDR Kuhlis are escape artists.

GlamCrab

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a DG who hurts himself.. I guess he sticks his head in a hole too small and rips scales off the top of his head.
The reason he does this is obvious, FOOD

Aurah

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I once had a male veiltail betta who had the magical ability to get long fin tears in an acrylic bowfront tank with nothing but live plants and completely smooth river rocks. Even the tiny HOB intake was covered with a sponge prefilter. He tore his fins or ripped off a couple scales every single month like clockwork. I still can't tell if he was super dumb or a masochistic genius.

Technologyhatesme

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My white mystery snail has a death wish too. It likes to climb into the rock pile in my tank and get stuck. It can find a way into a crevice, but can never figure out how to get out. If its missing for a day I know its stuck, and I have to take my driftwood and most of the rocks out to find it stuck underneath. My mangrove root used to be closer to the tank wall, and the snail would get stuck between it and the glass all the time before I moved the mangrove root. The other snails, one smaller, the other larger, never get stuck...

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had a zebra danio that I recently lost that hurt himself a lot. I think water changes just really stressed him out and he made bad decisions. Even though I did them gently and poured the water in softly. I miss that fish though....

Once during a water change, he swam through a hole in my bridge decoration. He got stuck from being too fat, and obviously he couldn't swim backwards. So I had to help him get unstuck. He got a little scratch on his back from this, nothing bad though. Then a few weeks later, I found him with a massively enlarged eye. He was clearly blind in that eye. I think he did it from swimming into something going super fast. That or he swam directly under the water I was pouring back in, and this pushed him into something. I now pour the water in super slow....

He died from this eye injury. It healed and he lived for a month, but somehow the wound broke open and he had internal bleeding into his brain/head. He couldn't even swim and was in a lot of pain, so we had to put him down. It was super sad.

shiv234

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have a suicidal fish but I had a suicidal bird....I had him flying around the house and I went to feed my arowana.......He decided he wanted to drink water when I removed the lid..........Need I say more

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
shiv234 said:
I don't have a suicidal fish but I had a suicidal bird....I had him flying around the house and I went to feed my arowana.......He decided he wanted to drink water when I removed..........Need I say more
Holy crud it ate the bird?!?!

Dumbest fish I have I think I would have to say is Sandy, my dojo loach. Just recently healed up from trying to follow her ropefish boyfriend through a pot.
2091EB85-BE11-4536-8E95-F6E7DF2248DE.jpeg

It didn’t work.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t really think I’ve particular had any suicidal fish, a few have jumped, but barely ever unless I’m netting them or when I had bad tanks. Although recently a new addition in QT jumped out of the tub and I unfortunately found him to late. He died overnight. The stupidest fish however has to be this stupid jewel cichlid. They are supposed to be nice but no, he was a little jerk that I had a serious dislike for! Got rid of him after a month, now my tank is peaceful once again and I no longer am missing any fish. Still hope he finds a home where he can be a jerk, but not hurt anyone.

OP
msminnamouse

msminnamouse

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike1995 said:
for me. Probably this male convict I had with my big Midas. Whenever id feed them, he would attempt to steal pellets away from king Midas. And king Midas would chase him and the one time bit the convicts entire face. And yet the convict continues to repeat this same thing over and over. He just doesn't care if he dies
I have a dwarf Victoria species in with two larger Kadango fry (temporarily). Same story. Except the little guys will take swipes at them even with no food involved.

OP
msminnamouse

msminnamouse

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Technologyhatesme said:
My white mystery snail has a death wish too. It likes to climb into the rock pile in my tank and get stuck. It can find a way into a crevice, but can never figure out how to get out. If its missing for a day I know its stuck, and I have to take my driftwood and most of the rocks out to find it stuck underneath. My mangrove root used to be closer to the tank wall, and the snail would get stuck between it and the glass all the time before I moved the mangrove root. The other snails, one smaller, the other larger, never get stuck...
They seem like a special kind of stupid. Same with mine.

OP
msminnamouse

msminnamouse

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol. Both of my lovebirds did that too with all kinds of fish.
shiv234 said:
I don't have a suicidal fish but I had a suicidal bird....I had him flying around the house and I went to feed my arowana.......He decided he wanted to drink water when I removed the lid..........Need I say more

Dila415

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
msminnamouse said:
What's the stupidest kind of fish you've had?

Long skirt Serpae Tetras would be mine. Every single time I have something against the wall of their tank, they shove themselves between it and the wall and get stuck. I can't keep anything near the walls!

My first Serpae killed it's self this way, I guess eventually internal damage caught up with it.

I just found my second one in the group did the exact same thing with a fry saver I put in there!

If I forget and put anything else against a the side, I'm sure the third would do exactly the same. (I was starting with three before I get more.)

I'm down to two from their suicidal behavior.
I found serpae long fins kind of a stupid fish lol like they are not all there lol my was kind of special also lol

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
ystrout said:
Even though I did them gently and poured the water in softly... I now pour the water in super slow....
One of my ember tetras used to "faint" to the substrate and lay on his side like he was dead during water changes. Too much stress for the little guy I guess. I started pouring water into the tank through a collander - a cheap $2 plastic strainer like you'd get at a dollar store. No more issues for the fish and no more pouring it over my hand or down the side for me. The fish probably think it's raining.

OP
msminnamouse

msminnamouse

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't know if the little guy is going to make it. I didn't see how much it messed it's self up the other day.

Attachments

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ouch... I’d suggest setting him up his own small tank with melafix and daily waterchanges(unless the meds say to wait) to fight off any infections.

New Threads