Stupid Stupid Stupid

1. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I was in Pecto yesterday looking around as usual and the man in the fish department asked me if I wanted to adopt a couple fish from a bucket of fish brought in from a childs broken aquarium. So I looked and there was this Red Tetra in there all alone. I adopted him with the plan to come back the next day with some money to buy him some schooling buddies. So what do I do, oh no Wendy it will be fine just put him in the tank. And you guessed it I am in the office today and there he is covered with ich.:jawdrop:
    Stupid Stupid Stupid. Now I have to figure out what the heck to do with him and my tank@@@@:;juggle

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:( ive been there a few times...its hard not to want to help....but we learn ....at this point you may as well leave him and get the entire tank ready for some ich treatment...once you can see it on the fish, the entire tank has been exposed to the culprit....https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/CuringIch.htm is a good read and where its early, warmer temps should do it....good luck!

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I treat all new fish for ich with heat as a preventative measure. It's easy enough to do this while the fish is in quarantine. Once, 86 didn't work and I had to kick it up to 89 to do the trick, but aside from that, it works every time.

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, after reading many posts on here about new fish with ich, Im with Jaysee. I now QT all my fish and treat them as if they have ich for the first couple weeks.

5. octonaut Member Member

last time I bought neons that happened. I've learned my lesson too, even if they only flat surface large enough for the QT is my bedside table!!

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

the good news is ich is one of the easiest ailments to cure :)

7. Kent799 Initiate Member

It's a common disease too. At least you were trying to help though.

When I was just starting out in fish keeping I experienced my first ich outbreak. Bought a snail from a tank that was under observation so I didn't really want to get him but the manager said that snails couldn't carry it. Put the snail in my son's tank and two days later here came the ich. I started to research snails and ich, went back to the store and looked at the tank the snail came out of and the fish in that tank had ich. I was so mad!! I walked up to the manager and told her she would be replacing any of my fish that didn't survive the disease. After that, I don't believe a word that the people say at my LFS.

We all make mistakes so we can learn! Best of luck with your tank.

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Well. I am kicking the temperature up today and I bought some Lifeguard as a last resort. We shall see. I will NEVER stick a fish in my tank without a 10 day quarentine period. Just when everything was going so well too. I guess it was just getting too easy for me.:;dk

9. kimoore Member Member

yup, Turn the heat up, add an extra air stone and I added aquarium salt. ICH doesnt like heat, oxygen or salt. When I first started, i had no idea what I was doing. I had waaaaaay too many fish in my 20 high. I brought everyone home and floated them, (which is not the correct way to acclimate you fish i found out.) EVERYONE got ICH, even my Pleco. I lost 2 pictus catfish, 2 bleeding heart tetras and 1 platy. If it wasnt for the heat, oxygen and salt, i dont think I would have had any left. Good luck with your little guy! Keep us posted!!!

10. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Make sure you raise your temp slowly!

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Warmer temps(ICH doesn't tolerate Heat), more frequent water

changes(warmer water holds less oxygen), vacuum when water changing(to

get any ICH that falls off or that may be in the substrate), Patience for at

least 14 days.

Salt isn't necessary as it irritates the fish and doesn't move the process along

any faster.

Good luck! Don't beat your self up too badly, we've all been there. It's

part of the learning process.
    Carol

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, salt is not needed and the ich doesn't care about the air stone. I never use an air stone and have had the temp as high as 89.

13. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Thanks for all the advise, Ich is still visible of the new pest of a fish. But the temperature is up and I am keeping an eye on everything.

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Once the ICH spores begin to fall off the affected newcomer, that when you'll want to keep up on gravel vacs and monitor your other fish very closely. This is the point where the parasites begin to spread.

Follow the link in my signature on curing ich naturally and it will go into detail about the lifecycle of this disease.

Good luck.

15. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;bananapcI will start vaccuuming like crazy tomorrow. Do you really think a siphon vaccuum is strong enought to pick up the spores. They have to be incredibly small.:;dk

16. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

though if your tank has sand....or another type of substrate that can't be vacuumed....then you just hold the vac over top of it, hoping to get the spores. good luck =]

17. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;saber:;saberI totally cleaned the substrate everyday and changed half the water. I treaterd the water with Pima and Melafix for three days as directed. The tetra I adopted has not more ich, and there is no ich to be found in the tank at all....... I am holding my breath. Maybe I beat it to the punch?????

18. spdrbob Member Member

Glad it's all working out ! In my first buout I think I tried too much too fast and they all died. I'm restocking my 29g now , hoping it does not happen again !