Stupid Question ... Keeping Qt Cycled

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by Mummafrog, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mummafrog

Mummafrog New Member Member

We have a fully cycled quarantine/hospital tank. Our last lot of QT fish are about to be moved to one of the main tanks. Once there are no fish in there to produce waste, will the tank stay cycled if we leave everything running?? Or will we need to keep seeding it until it's next needed??
    Thanks in advance.

2. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Yes, you need some source of ammonia in there to keep the cycle going, whether it be fish flakes, pure ammonia or a snail. There are no stupid questions:)

3. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

You can keep enough filter media in your display tank filter to fill your QT filter whenever you need it - just transfer it over and you have an instant Cycle. Dump the media after you're done, and replace the amount in your display filter for next time!

4. adh/smile

adh/smile Well Known Member Member

I've done the fish flake way of cycling my tank and it works! I've never done pure ammonia that you have to buy from a store. Why waste a little bit of money on something you can do with something you already have? I think a snail is a good idea. They produce a lot of waste for such little fellas. And nitrite snails are supper cheep. (at my LPS they are only like 50-80 cents.)
    I've done that too and it works instantly. That might be the best option for you to get your quarantine tank cycled immediately when you need it because you might not need it for a while. Hope all this helps!

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Several ways to do this - as suggested you can keep dosing with pure ammonia ( in my opinion, the cleanest and most effective if there are no fish in the tank )

I usually tear down the QT tank but keep the media in my 72 gallon. I keep my QT tank bare bottom so theres no substrate to clean, and with minimal decor. I take the media and just put it back in the main tank for future uses ( if I plan to restart within a few months ) or just start a new media pad/biomedia to seed.

This past year, I have been buying a lot of fish - some of my older fish are dying off here and there ( those that are 2 + years and over ) so I have been replacing my schools of Neons, etc. so I have had my QT tank running all year.

6. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

Agree w/ @Junne I think it is easier to keep extra media in the main tank filter and use as needed.

7. adh/smile

adh/smile Well Known Member Member

Would a bare bottom tank with minimal decor stress out any sick fish you might have to keep in quarantine? I'm still new to the quarantining business so please correct me if that idea was faulty!!!

8. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know that it could or couldn't. I would suppose ANY change in environment would be a source of stress ( such as placing them back in a different tank ) but as long as there is enough space for the fish and or hiding spaces, I can't see that it would be any problems. I have been doing it this way for many many years with success.

9. OP
    OP
    Mummafrog

Mummafrog New Member Member

Thanks guys

I will be keeping it seeded in one of the main tanks. I think that will be easiest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice