Stupid question about Prime

1. jhappach Member Member

OK so you have to wait 24 hours after a water change to use TSS+ because the dechlorinator kills the beneficial bacteria in TSS+, right? So if Prime kills beneficial bacteria, how is it OK to pour directly into your tank? Theoretically shouldn't you have to treat your water and then wait 24 hours before adding it lest you kill off your biofilter?

Just something I've been curious about.

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I don't think that's the reason why you can't use TSS+ right after prime. If it is then it may be because the TSS+ bacteria, and fresh healthy bacteria grown in your filter, are slightly different.

Upon a little research, products that bind ammonia is what kills the TSS+, and the TSS+ is different from your healthy grown bacteria

3. Paincoast89 Member Member

well if the conditioner kills the beneficial bacteria then use it in a bucket with the water you are going to use and then dump it in, I've done that with my tanks and everything seems fine

4. jhappach Member Member

Yeah that's what I do, I didn't mean literally pour it directly in your tank. I meant pour it in without waiting 24 hours.

Makes sense, thanks

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

You don't need to wait 24 hours. This is misinformation given by Tetra's marketing team to cover up the fact that TSS doesn't work every time. 'Bound' ammonia is simply ammonium, which is as easily used by bacteria as free ammonia.
    :)

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the info hamp!!

7. peregrine Member Member

Prime doesn't kill off your beneficial bacteria. If it did it would kill your cycle every time you did a water change. The way prime works is it binds with the ammonia but is still available for nitrifying bacteria

Just curious where you read not to use TSS+ until 24 hours after using prime?
    @codyrex97 just curious where you found that info because I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    EDIT: @hampalong and ninjad..... hahaha... At least it's from you....

8. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It's info commonly given by Tetra, and just as commonly refuted by Seachem. It has been discussed on every forum. I don't use TSS personally because in the UK we have Biomature which is better. But I know of far more people who don't wait 24 hours than people who do...

9. jhappach Member Member

Tetra posted this here:

In regards to ammonia products, yes, they kill TSS. Any type, whether a
    chloramines remover or detoxifier, etc, anything that says it locks up
    ammonia or removes ammonia. Do not add TSS for 24 hours after using
    such a product, and do not add such a product for at least 7 days after
    using TSS. The bacteria is housed in a special stabilized solution of
    ammonia, so if you remove/lock up the ammonia, you remove all of the
    food the bacteria require to live.

10. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Standard (and incorrect) information given to telephone and email staff by the marketing team, rather than the research team who actually know the products.

11. peregrine Member Member

Ahh. OK. So it comes down to the reason I don't trust any sales team for a companies product until I hear from actual people using said product..

12. MinhMai Member Member

Prime doesn't do anything to TSS. I sent my tank into a re-cycle a couple weeks back with ammonia in the green, nitrites reading bright purple (long story). I did a 70% water change with a cap full of prime and immediately poured 3.38 fl oz TSS+ into my puny 10 gallon. Today all parameters are reading great. 0, 0, 40. (It's water change weekend coming up) Therefore the prime didn't hurt the TSS at all.

13. Paincoast89 Member Member

Yeah then it should be fine

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Could be just me but I prefer to err on the side of caution and go with how Tetra Care advised to use their product.