Stupid Question about drilling: hole placement

1. ucdcrew Member Member

I'm sure this has an easy answer. Where do you drill the holes, and what is the rationale behind drilling them in the back pane vs. bottom?

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

There is no stupid question.
    If you need proof, I don't know the answer. There, now two of us don't know the answer. Obviously it's just something that isn't automatically known. ;D

3. ucdcrew Member Member

Are most 'reef ready' tanks with an overflow drilled at the bottom? Why don't people just build overflow boxes with teeth?

My battalion chief always says 'the only stupid question is the one you don't ask'

4. cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

You can't drill every tank. It depends on what type of glass you have. Regular glass, as long as it's thick enough is fine. Drilling through something like a 10 gallon tank will be tough because the glass is so thin. You cannot drill through tempered glass. You will ruin the tank.

Are you taking about drilling a tank or a sump?

Drilling the bottom of the tank scares the you know what out of me. If you drill on the side of the tank and the bulkhead leaks then your tank will only drain to the level of the bulkhead. If you drill the bottom of the tank and the bulkhead leaks then you could easily drain the ENTIRE tank.

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I know that you can drill a 10g tank. One of the speakers at the Minnesota Aquarium Society showed us how he drilled every tank in his fish room. It was a setup that involved a drill press and a bunch of prep. He had over a hundred tanks, and only broke a couple of them.

6. cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

You can, it's just a bit harder because the glass is so thin.

7. ucdcrew Member Member

I'm talking display tank. My tank is acrylic, and I'm not going to drill it myself, I'm gonna have the acrylic shop drill it. I see the point about it leaking, that makes sense.

8. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

The prep he described was quite a bit of work, but it seemed to greatly reduce the chance of breakage.