Stupid Mistake Probably Cost Me Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Laurenx19, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Laurenx19

Laurenx19Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Experience:
    4 years
    Ive made a horrible mistake. Well 2 smh.
    My 38 gallon was looking perfect, A-0 N-0 N-5 i fed my fish but i fed extra because my tigers eat so much, the tetras couldn't get any. So i left for 2 days came back and omg the water was green (algea bloom). Fish still seemed very happy. So i freaked out, did a 50% water change tested the water A-0 N-0 N-10 . Im assuming the combination of over feeding and light being on 12 hours created this. So water cleared up ALOT and im doing a 4 day black out then planning on emptying 75% and adding new AC70 i just purchased.
    I've had to be gone 3 days so my mom texted yesterday saying she thinks something wrong with the fish. I come home & theres noticeably something wrong. There SLOW, noses down. I scrambled to grab my test kit , feel the water and THE HEATER BECAME UNPLUGGED! So for 3 days they've been in 64° when there used to 78-79°. I fed them yesterday and they all had appetites but im afraid ill lose at least 3 fish, haven't seen my baby bristlestone either. Im hoping the damage is little I've worked really hard and it was a DUMB mistake. The pictures are before and after algea bloom.

Attached Files:

2. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Bummer. It’s happened to all of us, it’s the dumb mistakes that we all learn from though. Hope your fishies are ok

3. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,748
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    We all make mistakes when we first start out. It's very common. Don't hang your head down. It's all learning.

I would cut the 12 hour light to maybe 6 hours a day. Fish don't care about the light.

4. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,551
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    We all make mistakes in this hobby. There are so many aspects & components that have to come together to make the aquarium community thrive.
    Fortunately most mistakes are reversible, including yours.
    Most importantly, watch for symptoms of Ick and plan a treatment just in case. Get back on your weekly WC routine, 50% change weekly. Chalk this one up for experience and don't worry.

5. jjohnwm

jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,759
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Bring the temp back up to normal gradually keep an eye open for signs of Ich. Your tank is big enough that the temp probably dropped over a long enough period to minimize shock. Bristlenose Plecos can easily handle cool temps, they are likely the least affected fish in there.

6. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,628
    Experience:
    1 year
    I've made mistakes before. We all have.

Last month I left the heater plugged in by accident while performing a large water change on a 55g. I always unplug heaters during water changes, except this time.

We starter to smell burned plastic and then realized the heater was on with only 30% water in the tank!

The heater had literraly melted the plastic suction cup holder.

Luckily we caught it before something caught fire.

I'm sure you can get the tank back on track with a little patience. Good luck

7. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,357
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm still making mistakes! Granted new ones because I try hard not to make the same ones twice! You've got great advice, increase temp slowly and keep an eye out for ich, do your water changes with the same temp water and get that tank back in motion. Good luck!

8. OP
    OP
    Laurenx19

Laurenx19Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thanks guys. All seem okay, still alive. I finally saw my pleco and he seems fatter lol. Would i be able to add the old media in my new filter today and add it to the tank? Or should i wait till tommorow after the water change?

9. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,555
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Because you've had two 'incidents' in your tank that have required intervention in the last few days, I be inclined to think waiting a week or two to switch out filters would be best--at least until the algae bloom is over and your temp has restabilized and you are sure your fish weren't stressed to the point of illness that might need treatment.

10. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You got a lot of good advice (our members rock!).

I just wanted to say that in my 11+ years of keeping fish (this time) I've only had one ick outbreak and it happened after my heater broke (and of course I didn't notice until water change day) and my tank temp dropped down to the high 60's

11. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,281
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You're in South Texas... why would you have a heater at all??

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  12. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,913
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Not sure if this has been said but algae blooms may be unsightly but. Its completely harmless to the fish. It happens to me at times when I experiment with lights. A very large water change and a photo period adjustment should fix it right away.

Lower temperatures will slow the fish down a bit. Hopefully they pull through.

Just an FYI I can almost guarantee this is not going to be the biggest mistake you make in this hobby. That's 1 thing my fourty years in this hobby has taught me lol. Don't be too hard on yourself.

13. Andy S

Andy SValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +75
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Just remember, the person who never made a mistake never made anything at all. The reason some of the people here are experts is because they have made numerous mistakes and learned from them. I defy any member to come on here and say that they have never made a stupid mistake - we've all been there. The trick is to remember it and not repeat it.

14. TankGirl86

TankGirl86New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi all! I am newer to this hobby and forum and read this thread hoping to learn from someone's mistake. Not only did I learn what to do if I am found in the same situation as Laurenx19, but I learned that this is an amazing community with so much support! Thanks to everyone for helping out us noobs!