Stupid heater went to 100F

Tom
Last night when I went to work, everything was fine with my tanks. When I came home, I found out that Emerald had been killed because somebody had, accidently, increased the heat from the heater and it was all the way up to 100F. It is so sad that happened just after Emerald was doing so well in there with her little snail friend. I am going to move either Raul or Spot into there once I get the temp down and make sure that the temp can't be changed accidently. The heater has a very loose knob and it doesn't take much to change the setting. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Tom

phlox
:'(

Oh no! I'm so sorry!

Is there any way you can get another heater? Sounds like that one could be a danger even to a fish banging against it and changing it.

Allie
Aww that's awful. Sorry about Emerald
My sorority tank went down to 75 somehow yesterday. I want a submersible one for their tank. Tey seem to much more reliable.

Tom
:'(

Oh no! I'm so sorry!

Is there any way you can get another heater? Sounds like that one could be a danger even to a fish banging against it and changing it.

I was just going to cover it with duct tape or some other strong type of tape and remove it when I need to change the temp. It is a new, really a used but new to me, heater. I have seen them in the stores and they are really high end ones too.
Tom

Tom
Thanks, with pics

Thanks for that. I forgot to add some pics so here they are. The first is of shortly after I got her. The second one is of her in her new home(5 gallon).

326.jpg

327.jpg
Tom

COBettaCouple
the heater

is it a visitherm? all of our tanks have those now - they're submersible and the temp. knob is, if anything, hard to move when you want to adjust the temp. unless they took heavy damage or a defective one came along, it would be VERY hard to accidentally have the temp get set wrong.

Tom
It is an avant heater. It looks like one of those old heaters.
Tom

COBettaCouple
i'm not familiar with that brand. i'd look for a visitherm stealth as they are probably the most reliable heaters. I think there's also LCD digital thermometers that you can get with alarms on them if the temp is too high or too low.

It is an avant heater. It looks like one of those old heaters.
Tom

Tom
Remember, I live in Canada where there aren't a whole lot of different types of heaters and they are about $40 even if they are for the small ones.
Tom

Neil
Being in Winnipeg I would think their would be lots of stores. Medicine Hat being a small town their a re 3 stores to get fish supplies, wallmart was the 4th.
So about your fish, heater is the worst fear for me to go wrong.

COBettaCouple
I know we had very little selection in the small town we lived in, but much more in Denver.. which is 10-15x bigger. do any shops in winnipeg carry visitherm heaters?

MrWaxhead
I thought all stores in Winnipeg only carried mosquito repellent and toques.

MrWaxhead
Joking aside sorry about your fish though

Tom
I know we had very little selection in the small town we lived in, but much more in Denver.. which is 10-15x bigger. do any shops in winnipeg carry visitherm heaters?

I honestly don't know, the stores I was at yesterday, they only had a few(2-3) brands of heaters. I will start looking for the heater I have in any of my other tanks since they are really great.
Tom

Tom
I thought all stores in Winnipeg only carried mosquito repellent and toques.

You forgot winter jackets and boots. But there are a few stores that carry fish supplies, but they still carry the above. lol I'm kidding, there are quite a few stores I have been too, about 10-20, if not more.
Tom

darkwolf29a
If you are having issue with a fish changing the heater, I'd consider a Tetra brand heater, if you can get one.

I have one, and it's plug and forget. It sets itself to a temperature of 78 degrees. There's no way to turn it up or down though, in case you need that type of ability.

sirdarksol
That sucks. Sorry you lost a fish that way.

I need to save up enough money to buy the digital controls for my heaters. Because they cut the power to the heater once it reaches the proper temp, you can still set the knob on the heater and have a safety against accidentally changing the temp. Both the controller and the heater itself would have to be changed.

eepruls
I have an Avant heater. It's the one that looks like a giant test tube with cotton batton at the bottom and coils above it. I bought it at Wal-Mart here in Winnipeg about 8 years ago. I used it for about one week before I put away my tank. I recently brought it back out and have since learned all about the hobby. I just put the Avant heater back in my tank. We shall see if it still works!

LuvaBetta
I'm so sorry about Emerald - she was so beautiful! Others on the forum had been commenting about the scarcity of green bettas...

eepruls
It's working really well! Wow! It's holding the tank at 26C perfectly. I'm surprised since it's been sitting in a box for years.

Tony G.
Stupid heater, it went crazy again and KILLED flo, shelly and tommy. I'm so sad right now, I can't even tell you how irresponsable I feel right now. They were in a divided tank, tarzan wasn't in the tank at the time, and this happened. ugh everything sucks right now.

Aquarist
Oh no!!!!!!! Hate to hear about you losing your buddies. Sometimes things are just out of our control. Try not to beat yourself up over it.

Lucy
I'm really sorry you lost your bettas.
What kind of heater was it?

Tony G.
Its a MinI Aquarium heater branded SUNNY it is a 35 watt, it says its "Specially made for tropical fish" and the model is SDH-1. OOOh I'm so mad. I am so upset. nothing happened to tarzan , he wasn't in th tank. Ugh I cried, I know wierd, but I reallly really loved them.

RDTigger
I'm really sorry you lost your bettas.
What kind of heater was it?

..this.. Was it new or old..? If new contsacting the manufacturer might be in order...

Tony G.
..this.. Was it new or old..? If new contsacting the manufacturer might be in order...

well I say its new, i've had for less than 6 months, and only used it for three months. I stopped using it the first time cuz it killed my other fish. LAst night I got it out and plugged it in to rise the temp cuz it was too cold. And lo and behold I get home from shcool and theyre all dead.

Shawnie
o my!!!! I'm so so sorry you lost your fish..rip you precious babies.....why would you use a heater that killed your fish before tho?

Tony G.
I was using it bc I had nothing to heat the tank with, I plugged it in and then unplugged it about an hour later, and so on, I had unplugged it at night cuz the water was around 78-80. So I plugged it in in the morning because it was almost below 70. and it takes about an hour to begin heating the tank. I am going to break that thing. I will go back to the store I got it from and ask them to explain to me what the heck is wrong with the thing. oh and the first time this happened to me, I had left the heater on all day and all night, sI thought nothing would happen.

prairielilly
is it possible the heater was a non-submersible or partly submersible, and it was fully submerged? if that were the case, water would have gotten where it shouldn't and caused an electrical short. If this were to happen it isn't safe any more, for your fish OR for your hands.

Very sorry to hear about your fish.

Tony G.
It says its fuly submersible, is 35 watts alot??

Lucy
I use 50W for both of my 5g's and one of my 10's.
The other 10 has a 75W and my daughter's 10 has a 50.

I use Visi-therm stealth heaters.

harpua2002
I've never heard of that brand. Heaters are one item that I do not buy if it's a brand I haven't heard of. Heaters are crazy though.... the one that fried my sparkling gourami tank was a Visi-Therm, but I've had great success with other Visi-Therms. Weird. We use Ebo Jager, Visi-Therm Stealth, and Rena in our tanks right now.

catfishlover123
Well, sometimes things work out, and some things don't work out. So sorry for your loss.

Tony G.
thanks, I'm gonna save up for a brand I can trust next time, so ill b on the watch for Visi-therm stealth

Aquarist
I use the visI therm in my tanks as well. Very dependable and accurate.

Martinismommy
Tony,

I'm so sorry this happened to you......

Phinny12
aawww Tony.. I am sorry to hear that..what an awful thing to have happen!

catfishlover123
Good luck with your new heater! Hope that one doesn't go crazy and kill your fish!

ccb04
I use 50W for both of my 5g's and one of my 10's.
The other 10 has a 75W and my daughter's 10 has a 50.

I use Visi-therm stealth heaters.

Same for me Lucy. Stealths are all I use. I have a 75w in my 10 gal. and a 100w in my 20 gal. long.

Tony ... very sorry for your losses. You can get Visi-Therm Stealths down to 25w for smaller setup's. There are VERY FEW heaters I trust for this very reason. Not that things couldn't happen with a Stealth ... but we seem to RARELY here about negative incidents such as yours when using Stealths.

Don't beat yourself up ... simply learn the lesson. Equipment found to be faulty should be immediately removed and either returned when possible, or thrown away.

RIP: Flo, Shelly, and Tommy

Tony G.
Same for me Lucy. Stealths are all I use. I have a 75w in my 10 gal. and a 100w in my 20 gal. long.

Tony ... very sorry for your losses. You can get Visi-Therm Stealths down to 25w for smaller setup's. There are VERY FEW heaters I trust for this very reason. Not that things couldn't happen with a Stealth ... but we seem to RARELY here about negative incidents such as yours when using Stealths.

Don't beat yourself up ... simply learn the lesson. Equipment found to be faulty should be immediately removed and either returned when possible, or thrown away.

RIP: Flo, Shelly, and Tommy

Thanks, when I visit canada in a few weeks I will purchase it there. here in mexico I am sure I won't find it, so I'll loo k for it when i'm on vaca. Does anyone know any good pet stores I can maybe find it in montreal??

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lilirose
  • Question
Replies
Views
betta06
Top Bottom