Stunted Growth? Baby Betta

dippingtoes
HI everyone!

I am a newly registered member, but have spent many hours reading your forums. I'm very impressed with the amount of knowledge this site offers.

Recently, I took up the hobby again. Fully cycled a ten gallon, added 2 guppies and then impulsively purchased a "baby boy" betta. I am amazed that my betta baby has survived, now that I've done some research on the care and raising of betta fry. He was under 1/2 inch and clear at time of purchase. I fed him tetra flakes ( no baby food) and only did 25% water changes 1x week. He had a few close calls - I think swim bladder disease twice, but made it through. I have had this little betta for 3 months now and he(she?) appears very happy. My main concern is that he is not growing!

He has been in my 10 gallon tank for about 3 months and is only about 1 inch long. The neon tetra I added 4 days ago are larger than my betta. I was at petco a few days ago and the "baby betta" they had for sale were bigger than mine is now! I tried feeding brine shrimp ( one at a time held by tweezers and even tho he likes them alot, it hasn't helped him grow). What is wrong with my betta? Shouldn't he be much bigger by now? I don't really care if he stays really small. Just worried about his health. It's weird. He is getting more colorful and fins are growing longer - very slowly, but his body is not. Anyone have a runt betta?

Advertisement
Demeter
It seems that many of the "baby bettas" sold are runts of the litter and breeders simply want to be rid of the entire batch so they sell them at such a small size so they can make room for the next batch. If could be that your betta is indeed a runt betta and may never reach a normal size.

Can you post a few picture of the betta?

How often are you feeding?

KaderTheAnt
I second what Demeter said as I’ve seen first hand a man who’s selling runts to the petstore. He was going on and on about how the siblings were more than double the fish’ size and how it just never grew. I’m guessing it’s either bad quality in the fish he was breeding or he’s not separating the fry that are in need of help because the fish I’ve bred have never produced a serious runt (I get a few small guys here and there but nothing huge like siblings twice their size)

SpookaSpooka
I purchased a female betta (labeled as an adult, but the size of the babies) And she's only grown about three centimeters. I've had her since August, and she stopped growing months ago. So I'm fairly certain that she is a runt, too.

Zypher023
I can’t speak from experience, but someone told me the baby bettas won’t be full grown until close to 1 year.

dippingtoes
Thank you all for your replies. My betta still isn't growing bigger, but he is a pretty fish. I have him in my 10 gallon planted tank with 6 neon tetra's - which I am super excited about having b/c I've never had luck w/ neons before, 3 harlequins, 3 amano shrimp and just added a fire red cherry shrimp. I guess I'm lucky to have a nano betta! He can't eat my RCS - or hasn't yet

dippingtoes
Betta still hasn't grown. My fire red cherry shrimp has tho, and is the same size as the betta ( length w/shrimp tail ( not betta tail) width about same). I added 3 CPD today and they are doing great! Not hiding or skittish at all. The CPD are slightly bigger width-wise than my betta. I do not think Fry ( the betta) is going to get any bigger. He is at least 7 months old. Is there any hope he will have a normal life span?

siameseAmethyst
You should post a pic of him

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Marianajohnson
Replies
Views
VioletSS
  • Question
Replies