Stumped On Sterbai Cory Illness

Dillonmc9

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all, I’m a bit stumped on what my Cory’s have. It all started when I originally added the Cory’s when they where shipped from an online retailer. It started when one had red gills and was acting very lethargic after several weeks it turned white and died. When I added them to the tank from the baggies I gave them a few days and then I dewormed them with general cure for the amount it calls for on the box. Then I proceeded to treat them with e.m erythromycin for 3 full box treatments and it didnt seem to help too much. Since I added them started i lost 4 over the course of a few months and now they’re only 4 left and they are very lethargic and not eating. One is also shimming. The symptoms are red gills heavy breathing lethargy lack of appetite.
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know this doesn't answer your questions and I apologize for that, but are you 100% sure they're sterbais? Every sterbai I've seen has orangish pectoral and pelvic fins. The water could be too warm for the species you have.

Dillonmc9

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They were doing great at first at 79 degrees, super active and eating like pigs at all times of day for a few months. The disease they have is what has caused this because they have slowly gotten worse and worse along with the gills getting more inflamed.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Firstly, those are not sterbai cories. They look like spotted/agassizi cories to me.

Next, are you sure your tank was cycled and were there any other fish theyve been exposed to since you got them? (And could you post your parameters plz)

Lethargy and apetite suggest parasites to me. Red gills could be a number of things, but probably due to your parameters rather than disease

Dillonmc9

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes the tank has been cycled for 3 years with regular water testing, this tank is my favorite it has been the most stable tank ever (knock on wood). But I just tested and ph - 6.8 ammonia - 0 nitrate is less than 40 (keep in mind this tank hasn’t had a water change in a week) I usually keep it at the 10-20 range. And yes I got mixed up they are spotted Corys.
There has been an angel fish that has been in there for years but he seems pretty lethargic as well but is doing by far the best, he may not be sick he’s an old fish, nearing the end of an angelfish lifespan.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom